Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that should, theoretically, suck, but do not.(based on the post of M.R. Ogle)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Against Will, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    We've all passed judgements on things based solely on their appearance. It's an unfortunate human characteristic to let our prejudices get in the way of gaining something that could bring us great happiness. But I like to think that, presented with the oppurtunity, most of us would be willing to at least try something we dislike, if at least to confirm our feelings; be it eggplant or electric basses.

With that in mind:

I always thought the Ibanez EDA looked like crap, and assumed that it would sound like the inside of an aluminum (aluminium) tube. It looked like a shop class reject that Ibanez had accepted in order to give themselves an 'edgier' look for the nu-metal crowd (or because their execs [and quite possibly the creator of the design], at the time, were high on acid) But, upon sitting down to try it out, I found it to be very playable. The shape, while still pretty ridiculous, actually made it very comfortable to wear, and it looked slightly less outrageous on you, than on the wall. The tone was a little sterile, but it had plenty of punch and was an absolutely fantastic slap bass.

2. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Are you talking about this shape?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Yes, though those look nicer than the painted luthite ones that Ibanez first released.

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm pretty sure the wood ones came first. THey do look pretty stylish in wood, IMO.

5. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    1) I think that this shape is fantastic.
    I own an Ibanez Affirma and for me is one of the best looking bass ever made.

2) that shape is VERY BALANCED and for people able to understand the structure of a bass it is easy to understand why, also before to wear it.

3) What can make you think that the shape of the body is strictly related to the tone??

Ciao!
    Gianni

6. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    The EDAs have been releazed years after the Affirma's shown by zeronyne.
    That shape has been created by luthier Rolph Spuler in the first '90s.

Also, Ibanez never replicated that shape before, because it cost too much to be made from wood.
    After the luthite was introduced they cutted down the cost enough to build affordable models with that shape.

Ciao
    Gianni