Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that sound good/bad with a pick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Do certain basses sound better with a pick than others? If so. Which ones? And have you ever played a bass that sounded great with a pick, but crappy when fingerpicked and vice versa?

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I played an old Gibson Thunderbird IV at my cousin's house that sounded awesome with a pick through my Fender amp, but just didn't do it for me when I tried it fingerstyle. My cousin only plays pick so he loves the thing.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think a P-Bass witha pick is a pretty classic tone!

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    damn straight, the p bass is just, THE pick bass.
    But then again theres alot of nother basses just as good.;)

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Stingray 5 I had sounded great with a pick. The Warwick Corvette Standard 5 didn't. The Cirrus 5 I have now needs a major tweaking prior to using a pick. I agree that the P-bass sounds good with a pick. The thud sound seems clarified by the pick.

6. PICKENBACKER! er, Rickenbacker. (Prickenbacker?)

7. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    G&Ls and Musicmans are good with a pick

8. none! hehehe j/k

honestly though, i think there arent specific basses that sound good with a pick, but specific styles of bass. whenever i think of a bassist that likes/needs to pick, i think they better not be playing jazz, for example. but in punk, more agressive rock, even something as lame as emo, the sound of a picked bass fits more. so, what kind of bass do bassists of punk bands use?: p-bass.

not that pbasses cant sound good when not being picked either, that's not what i'm saying. it would just take too long to go through specific models and companies to decide what individual basses sound good picked vs. fingered. so simple rule: p-basses sound good/better/more appropriate when picked.

Joel

9. I hate the sound of a 'Ray picked...

--jeff

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    to me a Precision sounds good in every situation so it shines when picked too. but the bass i have always considered the best with a pick is the Rickenbacker.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Steve Swallow swings his ass off.....and just plays with a pick.......Anthony Jackson plays with a pick alot too;)

12. Didn't Abe Laboriel use a pick, too, when he played with Gary Burton in the early '70s?

Anyhow, I think there are certain basses that sound really terrible with a pick--Alembics, Ibanezes, Moduli, Zons, and anything else that has a naturally trebly sound. The pick takes the attack from pleasingly aggressive to obnoxiously sharp.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

once again his smugness sums it up.

14. I'm not sure about that- David Ellefson's got some decent tones out of his Modulus 5 string with a pick, same with Jason Newsted with the Alembics on the Black Album tour. also Tim Butler's used a Zon Legacy with the Psychedelic Furs, played mostly with a pick.

the Gibson EB2/Epiphone Rivoli) sounds good with a pick (eg. Bruce Foxton on some of The Jam's stuff eg. "start", Simon Gallup with The Cure, Chas Chandler with the Animals) but it's always sounded a bit muddy and unclear played fingerstyle.

15. IME, the only way to play a Hofner Beatle Bass is with a pick near the bridge. I also really love the tone of a pick on my P bass, even though I prefer playing fingerstyle.

16. I absolutely concur on the Alembic and Ibanez. I have one of each, and I do a lot of pick playing. Alembics just probably weren't designed with picking in mind, and my SR800 is just twangy and clicky when picked. Modulus and Zon I have no experience with.

17. I like my P bass with a pick, and the 4 string jazz is ok. I really never liked the sound of a low B under a pick. My fretless Ray clone sounds ok with a pick, but prefer fingerstyle.

18. Hence my problem with StingRays picked...

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ... and he plays a P-Bass. :) Swallow gets an absolute killer P bass picked jazz bass tone on John Scofield's "Shinola".

Anyway, I love the sound of a P-Bass picked. THink I'll play mine right now.....

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, Modulus doesn't belong in that category. One only has to hear David Schools of Widespread Panic or Phil Lesh to hear great tone from Modulus Quantum 6's with a pick.