Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that sounds similar to Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Jun 30, 2004.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Do you know basses that sounds similar to Warwick basses. Cheap, expensive, that don't matters! We need to hear your opinion :D

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Rockbass series.

Anything with a big mid range bump*, deep lows with overall thick/woody sound, and "natural" sounding electronics will get you reasonably close.

*all the Warwicks I have played seem to have this

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea a rockbass would probably be your best bet. There are a few different models so try them out.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Try a Framus.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    or mayones guitRars i think

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Conklin groove tools. Dont they use wenge & purpleheart for the necks?

The tone is in the wood & those aggressive MEC pickups.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I just put together a Warmoth Gecko with a wenge/bubinga neck that sounds very Warwick. I think the wenge neck contributes a great deal to the Warwick sound. The Demeter pre also sounds very natural and translates the sound of the wood well. My first thought when I pluged it up was that the sound reminded me of my old Thumb bass. I think if I installed coil taps for the Barts it would come even closer to the Warwick sound.

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Very nice, looks like warwick, too :D

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I haven't heard it, but a TB'er is selling a prototype Washburn Taurus with a MM setup that looks an awful lot like a Corvette...but cooler. I think he's selling it with a nice bag for 350$ -- if I was in the market for something like a Warwick (especially a Corvette) I would rap with him fo certain, because the price is right!

Will

11. I would, but I can't read Spanish.

just kidding. Those are beautiful basses, I must admit.

12. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Looks like Corvette, but how about sound :eyebrow:

13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I've heard people compare the Zon Sonus Special to a Warwick Thumb. Besides the somewhat similar pickup placement I don't really hear it. It does have some nice midrange similar to a Warwick Thumb. Less "woody" though.

Woodchuck has a Dean which looks like a cross between a Thumb and a Dolphin (and a lawsuit waiting to happen :D ). Sounds good too.

14. IMO, the warwick sound come from the bronze frets.
    If you find another brand with that ind of fretsyou could nail the WW sound.

larry:bassist:

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

What about fretless Warwicks? They still sound like a Warwick.

I feel the MEC electronics have a lot to do with the Warwick sound. As do the ovangkol necks.

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :bassist: Also, check out the Cort neck thru basses. They're made with the same woods, it even has a wenge board.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think those are the two main factors as well.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Thefrets on a Warwick are brass. Standard "nickel silver" frets are brass. There is not much difference in their composition.

20. gecko Basses have a wonderful Warwick sound... my bass teacher has one that he bought in Aussie when he was there..cause he loved it so much....

Here's some pictures... they are clear defined, punchy and very very well made..!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy :)