Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses' tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jan 10, 2002.

1. i really like a lot of basses, i just don't know how some sound like.

i have yet to try out a Spector or a Roscoe...etc.

but i'm thinking, with the Spector's EMG's, can you get a warm, growly, funk tone out of it? or is it more of a "rock/metal" tone?

I know that Roscoe's give a warm, growly, punchy tone because i've heard one played in person (by Jimmy Haslip). I really like that tone.

But what I wanna know is, can a Spector make it in a jazz setting real well?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Don't worry about how to describe tones...
    If you like what it does, then you like what it does, regardless of what people call the tone. :)

Although, in answering your question, most people describe spectors to be "pingy, aggressive (some say), warm, and deep." sounding.

3. what i meant to say was that when i tried out the spector, is that i didn't fumble around with the EQ.

i just played it, but i feel didn't get anything amazing out of the amp. That's what i meant when i said that i cannot describe the tone...cuz i didn't find a good tone out of it, even though i played it...AHHH!...whatever...?:confused:?:confused:?

4. i don't think you can reproduce or even emulate Jimmy Haslip's sound with a Spector, regardless of amp/eq.

5. hehe, i'm not asking if a Spector can cop Jimmy Haslip's tone.

one side has Bartolini...the other has EMGs...take your pick.

i would choose Bartolini...and G&L L series stock pickups...lol