Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses too hot for preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by farboozle, Oct 8, 2003.

1. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I recently got a yamaha pb-1 as a venture into the preamp/power amp arena. Until I get a preamp, I'm using it with my carvin R1000 (going into either the effects return or the power amp return) When I use my Euro spector, which has super hot output, I get distortion. It doesn't matter what the preamp volume is set at. Any ideas, besides turning the pickups on the bass down (for the spector, they have to be at about 1/4 to get the distortion to go away).

Thanks

2. When Yamaha designed the PB-1 ( 15 ~ 20 years ago?) basses with outputs like your Spector were still a thing of the future. No doubt it was only designed to handle input from passive basses. Check whether your Spector has any internal adjustment of its output, as some active basses do. Failing that, if you really like using the PB-1, maybe you could get a technician to modify its input sensitivity to handle a hot bass. Probably wouldn't be a terribly expensive mod to carry out.

3. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I figured it might have been only designed to work with passive basses. Maybe I will check into having it modified. Thanks for the help.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use my RBI (rack version of BDDI) with a passive bass in the effects loop of my swr head. there is a zone where the swr input gain IS NOT clipping, but the RBI is clipping a little. I usually back off the swr gain to the maximum safe gain point if I choose to turn the guitar volume to max. at that point I can turn up the RBI gain to get more return volume.

funny thing I very seldom if ever clip the effects return from the RBI. I usually run 'level' out of RBI at max! this way I get more volume from my swr bass 350.

the RBI clipping is very harsh almost sounds like a busted speaker or loose wire on speaker, but I know its just clipping the input.

just sharing experiences...