Basses under 1K that're 5str/34"/19mm

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lomo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I've pruned my bass situation down to only 5ers with 34" scale and 19mm bridge spacing, but I'm still looking for something to travel with that won't chew me an ulcer if lost or smashed in transit. It doesn't have to be that cheap, just easily replaceable. If it goes for 1K or less new, I figure I can find one for under 700, which would be fine for me. Trouble is, I'm having trouble finding all 3 parameters in this price range. The new Fender 5s seem to be 18mm at the bridge (please correct me if I'm wrong) and most of what's out there is narrower. The 19mm choices are mainly 35" scale. Ideas? Please only suggest a bass if you KNOW 100% that it fits these qualifications.

2. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Fenders are 19mm unless thats changed. I've owned 2 in the past and they were 19mm.

3. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    This pops up again and again-not sure why. The standard measure is from center of string to center of string. I'm 100% certain that pre 2008, FIVE string Fenders (apart from Roscoe Beck models), have never been over 18mm at the bridge-I owned 3 of them. I haven't seen an '08 up close, but a friend and fellow TBer measured his new P5 for me and said it looked to be 18 or 18.5.

4. The passive Squier P-5 (it's a P with J pups) and the active Squier J-5 both have slightly wider necks than the Fender P and J fivers (2" at the nut) and I've heard they're wider down the neck too, so with that plus their budget cost that may satisfy what you need right now. They're both 34" scale too.

Edit -- here's the active Jazz:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Active-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=512618

I can't find the passive P online, but this is what it looks like (stock photo):
    Squire5stringstandard.gif

I've got the passive P-bass five and the string spacing seems the same as a 4-string.

5. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Thanks!

6. Just measured my 96 J 5; 18mm ctr-ctr. It does have the multiple-grooved saddles & can be adjusted out a bit(I've done this & the neck is pretty much wide enough). I wonder if an aftermarket bridge w/adustable width on a Fender would give you what you're after.

7. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

I'd jump this idea in a second if only I knew for sure that it'd work, and which bridge would do the job without a scar. Anyone try this??

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021