Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses under 30" scale length??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    anyone know where to get one or if they are even made?

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Schwa? I don't think I've ever seen one smaller than 30".

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    here's a pic of one of Jean Baudin's basses that looks like it's under 30" scale....

[​IMG]

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I believe the Ashbory qualifies.

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've seen a whole range of basses for students of varying scale lengths, at least a couple of which are under 30" here in Japan.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Elrick makes piccolo basses with a 28" scale, but I don't know about holding a standard tuning with a scale like that....you could probably jump rope with the strings.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
  8. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    My cousin has an old Teisco bass that my Uncle used back in the 70's in my dad's band. It seems like it's under 30" scale, I'd swear it's only an inch or so longer than a guitar. I could be wrong though.

9. A friend of mine played one of those once (a guitar player) and his remarks were "a neck like butter." Didn't try it myself though, before it was sold. IIRC, it was tuned ADGC, I think.

10. If memory servers my correctly I believe that Fender (or Squire) makes a mini P-Bass.

11. I believe that's the one in Mr. Baudin's pic. I always thought that one looked kind of cool. Made by Fender, and called a P-Bass Jr., I believe, and my gut tells me it's probably made overseas (like the "new" Starcaster, which is a load of crap). (Seriously, a 2005 Fender catalog is an excellent reference tool).

12. NewAndImprov

NewAndImprov

Oct 17, 2005
    Weren't the old Fender Bass VI's from the '60's a really short scale? I just saw Doug McComb of Tortoise playing one, and it kind of rekindled my interest in playing one someday. I know they are incredibly rare.

13. I don't think it was short-scale, it just had a really short neck. McKenzie River Music has one locally, and it seems to be a weird bass. According to other TBers, it was a fiver EADGC, with no frets in the upper register (hence, a short neck) because with a C string, Fender decided you didn'y need an upper register. Not too well thought out, in most people's opinion.

14. It's 98% done- just needs the finish to be done & install the electronics. 25-26" scale, depending on where you put the bridge(it's fretless; I'll add position markers when I decide the final scale), started it for my(not-quite)4-yr-old son, who's 6 now & still waiting patiently...

:scowl: Lame-o dad! :spit:

I tuned it EADGC(pre-electronics, etc)& it actually played very nicely, so IME, a sub-30" bass(down to low E)scale is doable.

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Bass VI is 30" and originally tuned EADGBE. They are rare and expensive and there was a CIJ reissue a while ago.
    Similar instruments available are the Musicman Silhouette (and the OLP MM5 version which I have), the Schecter Hellcat and the BC Rich Bich. Fender also have a jaguar in 28.5" iirc.

SX makes a P and a J 30.5" 4 string and Hamer and Cort have instruments in similar scale lengths. Fender Japan has a 30" Mustang available new.

16. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Don't forget the Precision Bass Junior:

[​IMG]

Link to the bass at Fender.com

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Yea I saw the Pbass Jr. but didn't think it being just a little over an inch shorter scale than regular short scale was worth mentioning.

Anyone know if Jean's bass is one of these? It sure looks aweful small, but there are a lot of huge basses all around it though.

18. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Bassteban...that looks pretty cool :)

Got purpleheart? :ninja:

19. Yeah, my son's favorite color is purple, so when I asked him what kind of wood I should make it out of, well...
    :rolleyes:

20. I never leave home without my Frontline magazine.