Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses Under 400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Spam, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Okay, here's my predictament guys. Last year my bass, (Fender American Jazz) got stolen. It was 3 years old, so insurance didn't cover it. I quickly bought up the cheapest bass I could find so I could play. Ended up with a Samick that imitated a Squier P-Bass.

ANYWAYZ, I am going to have money this christmas, and I really can't stand this bass. I want to grab me a new bass. It won't stand up the American I had before, but I want something that will hold me over for a few years till I have enough money to buy a better bass (or might just stick with what I got.)

Budget is tight, 400 dollars.

I've heard Yamahas are pretty good. Any specific models? I'm going BASS SHOPPING soon, so I'd like some specific basses to ask to check out before I go.

Anyone know of a fretless under 400, with a jazzy/funky sound? I'm looking for a bass with a really jazzy sound. Fretless preferably, but if not I'll play something else. I just really need to ditch the Samick.

Thanks for the help guys. And if there is a thread like this already mods, could u merge the thread with it so I don't take up space/annoy vets. in here who are gonna flame me? LoL

Thanks again.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Mars has Yamaha RBX260F's for ~$250.00. These are
    decent right outta' the box. Lined rosewood board so
    if roundwounds are your thang...:(. But with some T/I
    Jazz flats (JF344) and ohhh...maybe a DiMarzio Split-P
    replacement pup :rolleyes:, you can get some nice jazzy, funky
    tones.

The Yammer, a set of T/I flats, and even a new pup
    could be had for < $400.

A quieter (P vs 2-J's), lighter, and cheaper alternative
    to a MIM Fretless J.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Check out the COPLEY basses. I see them on ebay all the time. You can get a neck-through with multi-lam neck for under $400. Not a solid slab neck like the keep carvin's.

I haven't tied one, put they don't look bad. I know one is up right now with a buy it now for $350.

4. The cort Curbows arent too bad for under 400 bux. and they really have a variety of tones IMO, its not like one flat sound all the time.

5. Thanks guys. I think imma try out that Yamaha you said, and if not, i'll search around.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Look around for used Peaveys, I think the Palaedium, the Forum AX, the RSB and the Dyna models can be had for less than $400.

Also, the Ibanez Roadstar and Musician models are in that price range.

7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    used fenders maybe?

8. Not really looking into a Ibanez :( Well, I'll check em out, and if I REALLY like the tone I'll get it.

I'll check out those Peaveys tho.

Anymore guys?

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dean Edge. I really like these, although I haven't owned one. I've played them, and may buy one someday. The Edge 4 can be had either fretted or fretless, and the bridge pup will give you a reasonable facsimile of J-Bass tone.

Here's a used one for cheap: www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/dean_edge_4_transparent_black_4_st.htm

You can get 'em new for $349, or maybe less if you shop hard.

10. Thanks.... I would take that bass up there, but I'm not sure about the wide neck. I've had problems with wide necks before. I like em small.

But or 249, i guess I can't really get picky. LoL :p

11. these are really big bang for the buck. You can get a 4 string fretless slightly over $400.

12. check out the ibanezes for definate. they have really nice comfortable bodys and necks which in some models look quite modern and funky. The tone (IMO) is largely determined by the strings you have on.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. I hear that. But, it's not a good, "Sterile" sound like on a Modulus. It's just really bland, and therefore easy to color, say, with a good set of strings.

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
  15. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yo cow, is that your site? or someone elses, cos they guy on there is pretty good:) ;)

16. I think imma do that ;)

But imma pass on the MIM Jazz.... I want somethin different. But I'm going bass shoppin tommorow, so I'll find out what has the best feel/sound.

17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    punkfunk,its not mine.but im thinking of doing that in a few months.Son of Spam,heres a list of basses that u could buy and still have money left over to turn the samick into a fretless...

fender jazz
    fender p-bass
    Dean Jeff Berlin Bassic(400 new,probably 300-350 used)
    Squier deluxe with p/j pickups,jazz neck,p-body.
    OLP stingray

18. Eh, i might buy the Yamaha whiteout is selling... or the Washburn thats selling.

19. I also say check out the Deans. the Edge 4, and Rhapsody both come in fretless.
    5 piece maple and walnut neck, grover tuners, and EMG hz pickups.
    nice lookin too:D

20. Son of Spam, if you're looking for the BEST bass you can buy for under $400.00, I'd have to suggest the Yamaha BB4N. I have the BB5N II, which is the 5 string version, but, I've played all their models. It's comparable to a MIM Fender Jazz. It has the same pickup set up, tone control set up, and looks very much like a Fender Jazz, except that the body and the headstock are a little smaller. It sounds just like a Jazz bass, except it's noticeably more growly, and when both pickups are on full, it's dead silent. Now, there's the BB4N and the BB4N II. I'm not 100% certain, but, I think the only difference between the two is that the II models have humbuckers. I have played both models, and they both sound great. As I said, I have the 5 string model, (maybe you'd be interested) and I paid $479.00 w/case. If your budget is tight, you can get just the bass brand new for $399.00. You can get one at www.musiciansfriend.com

That's for the Fiver. The 4 sells for $369.00

For a brand new bass right out of the box you can't beat this series. They look and sound great. My $.02

Good luck,
    Mike J.