Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses w/closer nut?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leanne, Jan 14, 2003.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I bought my Ibanez Ergodyne because it was comfortable, but I'm not happy with the tone.

So, I'm wondering what other basses might be similarly comfortable, but have better tone. What I like about it is that when I wear it or hold it, it hangs/sits in such a way that the nut is closer to my body than on a lot of other basses. I don't want a smaller scale length, I just want something where it is easier to reach the lower frets.

My friend's Alembic is way too hard for me to play. The nut is much farther away and I can't really reach the D string tuner without kind of bending over. His Spector is absolutely perfect, a little farther away than my Ibanez, but much closer than the Alembic. Fender Jazzes seem to be inbetween the Spector and the Alembic.

Does anyone else notice this kind of thing? I'm kind of small, so it is a big deal for me. So I'm looking for something where the nut is maybe a little closer than a Fender Jazz but still 34" scale.

I'll probably end up getting a Spector eventually, but it doesn't hurt to shop around... :)

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You can get a pretty good idea of how the bass will hang that way by looking where the upper horn stops. 12th fret is pretty common, and for me just fine. Higher fret, farther nut. And vice-versa.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    find and try a Reverend Rumblefish:D

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a matt pullcinella might be good!

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A new Carvin would be more expensive than a Cort Curbow.

(P.S. I'm no Carvin pusher, just trying to make things clear :) ).