Basses w/ easiest playing necks/setups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 28, 2004.

1. A bass player friend of mine said that he went to a music store in another city where they sold Lakelands and stated that it had the best neck he has ever played.

My question is, what guitars out there have the best playability in terms of neck quality and setup? This would also include electronics since sometimes that plays a role.

Thanks for the information, and if you feel the desire to post pics of your choice(s), feel free. Thanks!
  2. For my hands: Dingwall.

3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    This 75 jazz bass that the singer in my bands uncle owns is the best thing ive ever played.and he wont sell it!
  4. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    It's all relative as some people like slim neck and some like fat necks and etc. For me, the easiest two basses that I have to plat and my Hofner and Guild Starfire II. They are both 30" scale with thin/narrow neck. I can reach an extra fret or two more than my usual 34" scale bigger necks, so that makes it easyer to play. They both sound good too, but they are not my first choice when I reach for a bass. The basses I reach for first, currently, are a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody, Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman Ltd. 2004 or my Roscoe Beck V. It takes more effort to play these basses but they satisfy me more.
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    At the moment, my Modulus Q6 and my Geddy Lee Jazz play the easiest for me. I've got a Zon on the way, and am betting it will reign supreme.
  6. I'm kinda partial to the neck on my Vortex. It seems to almost play itself.
  7. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    LAKLAND basses are very comfortable, however, to my hands the ROSCOE LG 3005 has a very special feel that is very comfortable.
  8. I guess I should add that the question is directed more towards 5 and 6 string basses. :smug:

Anyway, good input so far!
  9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    For me and my small hands Ken Smith and Zon Sonus with the Smith being the easyist to play I've ever owned.
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Electronics don't affect playability at all, IMO. Case in point: I had an MTD Kingston and a Washburn XB900. These instruments had two of the fastest and most comfortable necks I've ever layed my hands on. I got rid of them because I didn't like the sound of the electronics.

Beyond neck shape, the preference for which can be highly idiosyncratic (as shown by the above responses), playability is largely a byproduct of the care and attention displayed by the last person to touch the instrument before you. I personally love the MTD neck shape, but whatever love I have will be canceled out if the neck's bowed and the action is sky high.
  11. I guess I said that about the electronics because it seems that better electronics pick up stuff better, allowing for better sounding tapping and stuff.

Do bass necks that use the banjo size frets allow for a different feel than those with the 'jumbo' frets?
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I can imagine my perspective isn't really warranted, but I'll give it, as I really do like the two basses I have...

1) My re-entry bass - This one got me back into playing after being on hiatus... It's my Lakland 55-01. Its the first 5'er I've played. The b-string took more getting used to than the string spacing, or the scale... I love the way this thing feels, & its only a cheapie Lakland.

2) My Jazz-P-zilla thing - This has a custom USACG, '62 Jazz spec neck, made of Wenge & has an Ebony FB. Its unfinished, & feels great... Better than I had anticipated...

That said, at this point, my Lakland feels more like home to me. I mean, I can grab my jazz neck, & my hand goes all the way around it,, like a pool cue or something... the short scale has me overrunning frets & I have to make a distinct effort to close close my hands, & play shorter.

In a perfect world, I'd love my Laklands neck to be replace w/ one identical to it in specs, but made from nekkid Wenge.
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Yes, and some cofortable necks that i tried include:
    -My Carvin LB76F
    - MM Sterling
    -Spector Core 5 (didn't like the bass though)
    there was a Smith I played somewhere once that I remember being very WOW in terms of playability.
  14. bassmcgee

Sep 8, 2004
    My Ibanez Soundgear SXR 300 is sweet. I like the soundgear series because they have nice flat fingerboards, and although people say they like nice curves on the boards to go with the hand shape, i can get enough of the uber flat board.
  15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    MM/EB Sterling
    Reverend Rumblefish
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Geddy Lee Jazz
  16. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    MTDs are designed to play themselves, after playing all different kinds of high end basses, I have to say MTDs play like BUTTER
  17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  18. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the five and six string basses that I am most familiar with(I own or have owned most of these), the most comfortable for me is the Peavey Cirrus. I just wish the string spacing were a bit wider.

Next would be Zon, Pedulla(specifically the Rapture 5), Nordstrand, Modulus, Lakland, and Bongo.

But as others have said, neck profile and comfort is a very personal thing. Some people love basses with thick neck profiles, such as old P basses, Warwicks, and Spectors. Those necks make my left hand and wrist hurt after playing for a short while. I prefer wide necks with a shallow profile.
  20. To me my Carvin 6 strings (both) have tremendous action and are super easy to play. Much easier to me than my old Maple Precision with the tree trunk neck... :bag: