1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses w/ XLR & 1/4 jacks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Aug 19, 2007.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm thinking about having a studio-only bass modded with the addition of another jack, a balanced XLR jack.

I'd like to see and hear about other basses that have this feature. As well as what other TB'ers did to do this mod.

What are the benefits of having this feature and what would the drawbacks be?

Can I have both 1/4 and XLR?

2. I'm getting an Ibanez, and i'm pretty sure that is has an XLR jack as well.

I don't see any particular Disadvantages.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    really? it's being shipped to you with an XLR jack installed in it?

4. XLR offers several advantages over 1/4 incher. It's a more positive, more secure connection (it locks), then pin 1 (ground) on XLR is longer than the other 2 so as to connect first and that does help in removing unwanted popping when connecting hot. Also can be made waterproof.

Only inconvenient I can think of is that of size, it's physically a bit bigger so maybe why 1/4 incher are so widely used on portable musical instrument.

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    of course you can, wals have them both, but to use the xlr you have to also plug a jack in the 1/4

wal-xlr.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Probably confusing it with the locking Neutrik TRS that come on some models.

7. actually, my mistake, i'm getting the lower-priced version of the Ibanez ABG. The "Exotic Woods" models have the XLR.

8. Fixitinpost

Fixitinpost Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
    My Heartfield DR-5C (1990) came standard with a built-in XLR and 1/4" jack. You can see the plate for the XLR just below and to the right of the lower-most knob.

DR5C_Fr.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hohner B2A had (still have?) that feature

10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Isn't the XLR output supposed to give a balanced (DI box) signal?
    This would mean including some "balancing" device (trafo) into the bass.

Everything else makes no sense to me

11. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Slightly off-topic, but with XLR wouldn't one, in theory, be able to use phantom power for active pickups? One thing that really puts me off actives is having to replace expensive batteries.

12. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i don't think so... isn't phantom 48V?

13. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    Yeah, 48v for microphones, but surely some sort of transformer built in to the guitar's active?

14. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i would prefer not trying to fry my wal preamp... they're almost impossible to find...

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My Heartfield DR5 and my Washburn AB20 both have xlr jacks in addition to 1/4 jacks. I've never used them though.

16. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    as far as the Washburn AB-20 and most all of the other washburn ACOUSTICS, the XLR jack comes as a feature with the pre amp installed. After working at a US Washburn dealer/recording studio i was able to use many of the guitars with this feature. It seemed to give it a bit fuller, warmer, COMPLETLY noise free signal.

17. 99 cent store, although, i'm still figuring out a way to drain every amount of juice out of each battery. I figure, maybe, I'll just get some more vintage MXR pedals and put my "dead" batteries in them, since they hardly need any juice to run in the first place

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Mine doesn't and I've never seen a stock one that did.

19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Somehow (likely operator error - me) most of my original response didn't show up.

Balanced gives a couple of benefits. There is considerably greater immunity from noise and hum pickup in the cable itself, though if you have poorly shielded single coil pickups in your bass, this won't be of much benefit. You get better connectors and the possibility of running straight into a desk or similar and potentially phantom power for your active onboard electronics.

You can have both XLR and TRS, but inless you use the combined Neutrik panel mount socket, more real estate is required to house both, and as most battery powered onboards use a plug in the TRS to switch power, you'll still need that or a switch to activate the electronics.

Les Paul was a big supported of balanced outputs on instruments from a very early stage, but it's much easier to do actively than with passives and transformers.

Yes you could.
    Yes.
    No transformer as it's DC, but there are other ways to do it. However, why not use ~ 48V to power a discrete circuit on bord. The only reason 9V / 18V is used is because they're to voltage batteries come in. Inside your rack pre, head etc most run on +/-15V for opamps, 300V for tubes with discretes like an Avalon U5 somewhere in between.
    You should never apply phantom power to a circuit that wasn't designed to accept it. However, I beleive the Wal has a transformer at the output, so it likely won't be an issue even if you tried it. Depending on which transformer and how it's configured, and considering the Wal's low current draw, it wouldn't be difficult to modify (not suggesting you do so, just saying it's possible) it to easily run off phantom power. Ditto for most active basses if you went this way too.

20. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    aye, would be nice to see more technology coming through from cables. Mono jack has been the standard for what, 50 years? With the popularity of the all active electronics, dual pickups and powerful preamps, there should be something better than jacks and even XLR out there. Hell, put a couple of DSPs in there and you could have a complete digital signal processor in a bass with a USB2 connection! :)

xelaalex likes this.