Basses When Travelling-Need Quick Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kat_Mia, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Hi all! I hope this is in the right place? :eyebrow:

I am going to France this saturday with Dorset Youth Orchestra and my bass will be travelling in a van with all the other bigger instruments. :(

It (he) has a big padded case and I've folded a sleeping bag and put that around the neck and scroll (fixed with sellotape) :( and I've folded my huge fleecy camp blanket and put that around the bridge etc. Anything else I can do or is what I've done wrong? :confused:

2. I would suggest you be certain the bass rests on its side rather than its back. Also, when the other instruments are loaded, I would make sure they were not stacked high to prevent the possibility of them falling on your bass.
  3. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I'll second Steve's suggestion. If it's going to fall over when it's resting on its side, though, you can probably get away with laying it on its back if you have a pillow or cushion under the upper shoulders to keep the weight off the scroll (according to David Gage).
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I moved a DB across the country in a van. My biggest concerns would be.

1. Make sure nothing call fall on it, which has been stated already.

2. Make sure the scroll does not get shoved against anything, incase of a fast braking situation, the tension could snap it.

Any extra padding you think you might need take the precaution.

Good Luck
  5. I've travelled about with a bass in the back of a small van, in Britain and some of the rest of Europe.
    It is good advice not to have anything above the bass which can fall on it, this is the most dangerous thing that can damage an instrument.
    Although placing the bass on its side is the strongest for downward force, it is 100% guaranteed to fall over, unless it is wedged in with something to hold it upright. If it is wedged in with something heavy(like an amp or speaker or heavy bag) this is likely to move when the vehicle corners, resulting in pressure on the vulnerable front and back of the instrument. I lay my bass on its back, preferably on something soft, and even, with the neck pointed in the direction the vehicle is travelling.
    The bass goes in last, and I make sure nothing of any weight is on the same layer/level as the bass.
    So far I have had no problems travelling with the bass like this.
  6. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Thanks guys, all went well and Number 3 got safely there and back! :D
  7. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Alright! So you went back to Cherbourg ? How did it go ? What did you play ?
  8. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    Was mostly rehersals for the huge concert we're doing with other Dorset groups in the Royal Albert Hall next March. :eek: There was a short informal concert at the end of the stay though. We stayed and rehersed in Granville, ferry was at Cherbourg! ;)

We're playing Crown Imperial (oops, can't remember composer although I should know it :bag: ), Mussorgsky-Pictures at an Exhibition, a piece by Saint-Seans which was in the film 'Babe', Star Wars, Handel's Zadok and the string section is doing a really dull and broing string thing which every string player in Dorset is going to do....apparently! :eyebrow: