Basses which sound nothing like each other.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Which basses,in your opinion, sound completely different from the other. Give as many examples as you want, and a reason why.

I'd say: Gibson EB-0 vs a Rickenbacker.
    There you have it: one sounds as thick as maple syrup, the other is the definition of high end bite.

Mike J.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    P-bass vs. J-bass with neck pickup soloed. Does that one really need further explanation?
  3. Warwick streamer VS P-bass
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

How about any other bass on the planet vs. a Rickenbacker!! I don't think anything sounds anything like a Ric except a Ric.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    A G&L 2000/2500 with steel Rotosounds, bridge pup soloed, and bass control rolled off a bit sounds pretty close to a Ric, especially if you play it with a pick, and in a band setting.

On the other hand, G&L and an Alembic are about as far apart as can be.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stanley Clarke's Alembic vs. ZZTop's Dusty Hill (Fender Tele, etc)
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Chris Squire's Ric vs. Mike Mills' Ric vs. Geddy Lee's Ric vs. Lemmy's Ric...etc etc.
    1. My old 80's washburn (don't know what model) whith a passive p-pickup and my new Peavey Cirrus w. active soapbars.
    2. Any DB vs any EB... :)
  8. A bass made out of a washtub and a broomstick vs. a bass not made out of a washtub and a broomstick.
  9. a bass with strings and one without.
  10. A big mouthed bass vs. a Alembic Europa
  11. Yes.

The J neck solo still sounds nasal to me, but also much closer than the EB-O vs Rick.
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ok then. 70's ash-bodied Fender Jazz vs. a poplar MIM P. Now there's a bigger difference. :)

One could say... *anything* vs. a Rick. A Rick doesn't sound like anything else, at least nothing that I know of.
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A Jazz bass played by Jaco vs. A Jazz bass played by Jeff Berlin. :D
  14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    What exactly does it mean when they say that a pup is "soloed"?

15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Only one pup is used, commonly the bridge pup, Also associated w/ the treble turned up, (and sometimes the other Freq.'s cut). Produces the bass equivalent of the shrieking guitar solo. But, it sounds oh so much better! :D
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My bass vs. Your bass.
  17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

... with the setting on the bass & amp exactly the same.

Isn't the the truth. :)
  18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The two basses in this picture, even though the same manufacturer, sound incredibly different. Even when I try to force the same settings. The five string has a very deep foundation and a full sort of sound. The four string has a much more treble-y somewhat thinner type of sound and piano like clarity.

If you can imagine having Barry White and Phil Collins sing the same song, that's the level of difference I get. I've A/Bed them with both pickups full up, the tones dialed all the way up, then all the way down, and also with the Q settings as close to the same as possible. In each case I played E, A, D & G strings only, and stayed off the B string on the 5. Very similar construction, different woods, but totally different sounding beasts.

19. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    a 300 year old upright vs a stringray... thats obvious enough