Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with 13pin output for V-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bieger, May 1, 2003.

1. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    What basses have the option for a 13pin output?

I am intrigued by the V-bass, but I didn't like the way that the Brian Moore bass played and think taping a Roland 13 pin pickup on a bass is kinda lame (it seems too fragile and it looks quite ugly).

I could probably have a custom bass made for less than the price of a Brian Moore. Is it possible to either retrofit existing basses with the proper pickup and output jack or have a new bass built with them? How would you do this (i.e. where can you buy the pickup and how much is it)? Can anyone recommend a high quality luthier (but not too expensive, which I define as around $1,500) that can build a bass with a 13 pin output? Is anyone in the same boat as me and come up with a good solution?

Jeremy

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, I haven't arrived at my solution yet, but there are a few possibilities...

The RMC piezo bridge can be connected to a 13-pin jack, I believe this is what our own John Turner is triggering his Roland units with. Kind of pricey though.

Fred Hodshon has some experience with a Lightwave pickup driving a Roland module, hopefully he'll chime in here with some details. This was a possibility I was considering but I don't know that a consumer version is available yet.

Supposedly there is/will be an internal kit for the GK2b, whereby it could be installed in a less offensive manner than the current 'Wal-wart' necessitates. I guess that would be a problem for retrofitting though. I'll be checking into it for my custom fretless though.

I'll be peeking over your shoulder here to see what other suggestions come up.

Hey Jeremy, I'm just going to go ahead and post this here rather than PM you, as I don't know that you post here too often...

I checked out your site. Very nice material there! Really digging it. PM/email me if you have time to chat about the V-bass or whatever. Just wanted to say hello personally.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    I LIKE THOSE TUNES!!!

kinda like Rikki Lee Jones meets PJ Harvey in my favorite spots.

back to the V-Bass. the roland rep at NAMM2003 said the lightwave to roland GK was the best of both worlds.

it had the dynamics of the mag GK2B and the tracking of the RMC.

he was demoing it with a killer 6 string Spalt Magma.

sounded and tracked phenominally!

Lightwave is finalizing the daughterboard soon.

that is of course, you go lightwave.

i'm in daily contact with them, so let me know if you have any questions!

wait until you see the NEXT project their working on. my personal opinion, the new product is much better suited for the lightwave pups.

a played a proto...WOW!

f

4. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    I'm intrigued about the lightwave pickups. I've heard two peoples' opinions and they were completely polarized! One person hated it and the other thought it was the best thing since the eighth note. The deal is that you can only buy them if you're a dealer or maker, right? That's interesting? I assume that's because it's somewhat difficult to set up and not just that they want to sell fewer pickups :)

Anyway, thanks for the responses and the compliments on my music.

So, who are some makers that can use lightwave pickups? I know Zon does...any other good makers?

Thanks,

Jeremy

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hanewinckel (www.hguitars.com) will build one with the RMC system. It will add a bit to the price however, say + $750 to the list for a four-string. Though the RMC piezos sound great on their own too so that tempers the cost. So you're talking about $2000 for a basic 4-string with this setup.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not again! Hmm, I'm stumped on what this would be. Do you mean something new that Lightwave is working on, and it's more suited for the LW pickups than the ROland GK hookup is? Or is that totally backwards?

7. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey..

I have a Zon Lightwave runing the optics into an RMC 13-pin output. It's a superb system, tracking is perfect.

My understanding is that in June or so Lightwave is looking to have their 13-pin solution out as a product.

8. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Interesting...I may be waiting until June to see what Lightwave comes out with. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jeremy

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I got one of the internal kits from Roland, but I haven't had time to install it yet. It will definitely look a lot cleaner than the "borg implants" one with the cables external.

As far as Lightwave, I think it is best suited to fretless. I made a bass with System 1 electronics and my customer is happy. I would like to make one with System 2 to compare. In the one I made, the high end response was really all coming from the piezo side of the pickup, and was a little bit clacky at times. The low end is phenomenal though.

LM

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    hello Laurence;
    I was curious about how you acquired the GK2b internal kit. Do you have to go directly thru Roland? I'd appreciate any info you could share.
    thanks!

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    LM: sys1 icetone was notoriously clacky.

as with most contact pickups i may add, nature of the beast.

sys2 is much better.

i like my fretted lightwave. they have their place.

f

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That makes two of us. I'm currently debating whether to have my current 6 string fretless modified with the internal kit (and other necessary mods, of course), or selling some stuff to fund a Curbow Lightwave fretless. I'd prefer the later option, but, of course, that's about 10x the cost....

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have 4 basses (7 and 8 string) equipped with the rmc system, and i'm very happy. bill conklin rigs it so that the lowest strings on the greater-than-6 string instruments are tied together on the same channel, so i'm getting signal even from my low F# to the synth brain (i use an axon ax100).

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, JT--

I know I've played the basses in question, but I was wondering how much space the RMC system takes up in the control cavity. You also have a preamp for the mag pickups, too, right?

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    w/ the RMC, you also have to get a 13 pin module seperately, right? That doesn't come as part of the unit, or does it?

Seems like I looked into it a while back and it added up pretty steep, $-wise?

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey all,

Yep I have a direct connection to Roland. I made a bass for a friend that works there. Whenever he goes to demo the V-bass, he gets bugged about the bass more than the synth!;)

Hey Fred, thanks for the info on Sys 2. My customer likes his bass, but maybe he'll want to upgrade at some point. Alain Caron played my Lightwave bass, and I think that's what convinced him to get one on his next fretless. I'm looking forward to hearing him play it next month at the Jazz Festival.

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    any way for us mere mortals to acquire a GK2b internal kit? :)

Any suggestions, LM?
    thanks...

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, same question for me.

19. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Hey there...

Does anyone have any news regarding the internal Roland or Lightwave (addon) pickup?

There's gotta be such a market for peepz wanting an internal setup for their v-bass.

Cheers,

Jeremy