Basses With a MM+J configuration...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Mar 27, 2004.

1. In a price range of less than...say...700 US what basses are available with a MM+J configurations, I've seen Fernandes and MTD...what are there other than those....

2. dmielke

Mar 25, 2004
    Ibanez - new model from NAMM, $500 list.

3. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Cort makes two, the GB 34 and 35, four and five strings respectively. Passive, and the humbucker isn't so great at least in my GB 25.

Cort also made an active 2-band EQ GB 44/45 for a while, but those are hard to come by.

The 34/35 are listed at 300 and 340, a used 44 or 45 about a hundred more.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man - that Ibanez is a BEAUT, save for the Johnson-esque headstock (neckdive?)!

A blantly obvious ripoff of a Lakland, however.
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I bet you could get a Jazz neck from Moses. It'll look a lot more stylish
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Carvin....LB70 comes standard with the MM and the J.
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks more like an MTD Heir than a Lakland.
  8. Hmm that Ibanez does look pretty cool, has anyone played it?
  9. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    It actually reminds me of a G&L... Hrm... maybe more like a G&L combined with a Lakland. ;)
  10. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Sorry, but I don't se the MTD Heir resemblence there at all. I do see the lakland however, and whoever said it your right that headstock is uuugly! Looks like they chopped off a foot from a mannequin, planed it down put some tuners on it. :meh: :eek:
  11. dmielke

Mar 25, 2004
    But hey, there's lots of wood there to work with. You could just take it on as a headstock blank to create your own design! :D

12. That headstock needs less area & some Gotoh-style tuners. Otherwise a very nice-lookin' bass.

I seem to have become a champion of offsetting the J pickup in such configurations, but that might have something to do with owning a Warwick FNA Jazzman. I wonder why more mid-priced basses don't have this feature.
  13. I've never played an offset J bass....They probably sound just as good or better than a bass with the non offset bass of the same build
  14. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't see that. The only Heir I see in it is the pickups. Outline-wise the Lakland-G&L-MM SR-Even Yamaha-etc... is kind of generic. But it is a GOOD generic. There is a reason so many companies use that shape.
  15. timinator

May 8, 2005
    Don't hang up! I looked at a second hand Peavey Millenium this winter with a MM/J layout, quilted top, 3 band eq, 35" scale(in a four string), drop D tuner... maybe even a case for $320 at Daddy's Junky Music in Dartmouth, MA (no, I just shop there). Some of Peavey's gear is hands down bang-for-the-buck unbeatable, especially for starters and intermediates and I only passed on it because I found an Ibanez DWB3 in 9 out of 10 condition for the same price.
  16. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've played that model Ibanez, and was very impressed. It has a thicker neck than your typical "pencil-necked" SR, and has a very tight, commanding tone, with very little "cheesy inexpensive Korean-made craptacular" tone. Very solid, though the treble on the one I tried was a little hissy at higher boost. Felt a little like a cross between a J and a P. I liked it, and would play it on a gig without hesitation.

As far as the "Johnson-esque" headstock, may I recommend "circumcision by bandsaw"? It doesn't have any neck dive, it just looks a little goofy...
  17. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Carvin. you probably cant get a neck-thru for under 700 but im sure one of their bolt on models might fit your needs

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

A used Carvin or lakland Skyline is in that price range.
  19. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    talk to Nino about making a Valenti version of this:
    This bass sounds killer and is the best playing neck I've ever played, although I'm sure it'd be even better with the Valenti options. Nordstrand MM/J with a Hipshot bridge would be hot.