Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with a whammy bar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgruvn, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Ok who has one, where can ya get em. How well do they work ? Lets see some pics :hyper:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Been done many times.

I had an 84 BC Rich Warlock with an old school Kahler tremolo, worked great. Unfortunately the neck was too unstable to hold tune so I sold it. Was more novelty than anything useful unless you're Vic Wooten.

Kahler makes em again, Hipshot makes 'em, and Jens Ritter makes them but only on his own basses.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Some time in the 80's I met the bass player for a band called Rough Cut when they were opening up for Dio. He had a G&L L2000 with a whammy bar backstage. I played it and thought the bass sounded cool but the whammy was stupid. That was a weird night.

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I use my Nightbass with my X15 ultrafoot, I have the one pedal set up as a dive for certain sounds. Very limited in application but I'd rather do that then use a tremolo bar.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
  6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  7. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    As many of you probably know, Les Claypool has a tremelo bar on a couple of his 4 strings (i've never seen/heard of them on 5 and up). I believe his are Kahler tremelos also.

8. Don't mean to hijack and I should know this by now. But who the hell makes his basses, again?

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've played basses with Tremolo's on and off before and for me they serve a purpose.I've tryed Basses that had Kahler's,Bigsby's and Hipshot and even tho I think all three are kool I prefer the Hipshot.I'm currently having a 4 string made that will have a hipshot Tremolo on it.

links to some progress pics.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227719&highlight=ergo

And the Basses that are in ? in regards to Les Claypool are made by Luthier Carl Thompson.

10. Ah, I'll keep that in mind.

As for bass tremelo's. I think they are cool and if you can use one effectively more power to ya. I personally sometimes have trouble using a pedal whammy effectively, I don't think I'd be much better with a tremelo.

11. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have a hipshot on my 4 banger and i can attest to it's playability and whatnot... much more expressive than a kahler i had a few years ago.. and it stay's in perfect tune. They also have a 5 string model. Kahler is back in buisness as well, and they have 4, 5, and 6 string tremelo's for bass . Peace

12. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    correct, one kahler trem on his main walnut 4 string piccolo, and one on his ebony 4 string that he got after recording antipop.

13. Marshman

Marshman

Feb 15, 2006
    I think Bass Player reviewed one a year or so ago. Next time I'm in the library, I"ll see if I can find it. I'm no dive-bomber on guitar, but love just a little flutter, bigsby style. Getting a strat set up correctly takes HHOOUURRRSSSS, I can't imagine a bass would be any different.

Would be the dogs', though, wuddnit?