Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basses with a zero fret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 8, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I'm looking into getting a bass with a zero fret, for a particular musical application. So far I only know of a few, like the MTD 535 and some of the Status basses.

Who has a bass with a zero fret? What kind is it? Do you like it? What's the scale?

Are there any issues with zero frets that I should be aware of? Any setup issues perhaps?

2. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    all status basses come with zero frets.

ive owned 3 statuses and a T bass

all the zero fret does is eliminate the need to file the nut and....of course open strings are supposed to sound better and clearer.

other than that i dont see much difference between a bass with a zero fret and a bass without

Steve

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My headless Hohner had a zero fret... but then again most headless basses do. (Steinbergers probably do then im guessing).

4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    The basses I build utilize a zero fret.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    lefay basses have a zero fret...check out their site, if you haven't already:

lefay basses

there's a really nice gallery of basses on the site...my faves are the remington and the herr schwarz...they're both bolt neck basses, but they reiner builds through-neck basses as well...

6. Vigier use zero frets.

my Hohner B2A has one.

actually, my Eko has one too- quite few 60's Italian and Japanese cheapo basses eg. Jedson had them- I suspect that was more to cut build time setting up a nut properly.

zero frets can allow a low action- drawback being open string buzz when it wears down.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I know that early Elrick's had a zero fret.

I don't know if they still do or which models do.

8. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    My Elrick Gold Standard 4 has a zero fret. 35" scale.
    It does seem to make the open notes more defined. Set-up wise you will not have any issues........set the bass up as you normally would.

9. Rickenbacker's 4001C64S has a zero fret.

10. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have a Kingston 4....like to z fret..no change in sound on open strings anymore.

Set-up: when re-stringing, don't let the string ride the zero fret as you tighten....it will dig a groove.

peace

BTB

11. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Some (or all?) marleaux have a zero fret too.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, Steinbergers do have zero frets. I don't see why everybody doesn't use them. Why would you want your open strings to sound different than the fretted ones?

13. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia

All Elricks have a zero fret, its standard on all their basses, as is a 35"
    scale.

14. Yeah I haven't tried one, but after inquiring what they're all about, I just assume stay with the norm for now. Maybe some day. If they promote fret buzz, I don't wannit! :ninja:

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    picture a bass tuned 1/2 step lower than standard; then put a capo just on the low side of the 1st fret.
    a zero fret bass is essentially the same, but tuned regular, one more lower fret, and no capo.

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Excellent input, thanks everyone!

17. So do you fret the zero fret like you would say the 3rd fret or do you still hit the open string? *Confused*
    Thanks
    Troy

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    No. There's no space on the fretboard in which to even place your finger. That's why it's "zero". Simply play open strings as you normally would.

MM

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    My Josh Paul sig. has a zero fret. I don't even notice it.