Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with Binding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Jun 14, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I was getting ready to go to bed last night when I had this vision of a bass:
    Seafoam Green
    Birdseye Maple with block inslays
    Black hardware
    Black (MAYBE white) Body Binding
    Purple mirror picguard

Who would be able to make this? Who makes basses with body binding? I noticed in the new Velvet Revolver video Duff is playing a black Fender with binding but I can't seem to find it.

2. CPL

CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    Fender has this bass called the Aerodyne Jazz Bass, which is black with a white or cream binding. He probably is playing that. I recall he used to use the Power Jazz Bass Specials (I think that is what they were called, or something similar) back in the late 80s.

I suppose you could find a luthier that will build you what you want, but it might be expensive. If you have the funds, then you can go that route. I don't recall anyone that makes an instrument like that, but I'm sure you could find someone with a little research.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I found it!! Check out this thread.

[thread]130059[/thread]

Perhaps they can help you :D

4. Here's a pic of a bass that I'm completing right now. This is a poplar body, flame ash veneer top, B/W/B ivoroid binding.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130707

Look down towards the bottom of the thread.

Binding isn't that difficult. In fact I find it fairly easy to accomplish on solid body designs.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some Steinbergers have binding, such as this:

[​IMG]

You usually see binding on basses that have a sharp transition from the sides to the top.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out the Sadowsky Tokyo basses, they have some really great neck binding.

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Uh, didn't you just order a Carvin already?

Second, no offense... but a Purple pickguard?

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    EWWWWWWWW...

If you change your colors to something a bit less "tacky" I would think any company would do that for you. What about seafoam green with a metallic green pickguard. That might actually look ok.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe like that it would look alright but what you're talking about would be neat for a while and then lose its cool factor.

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Nah, it would look cool FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER! Yeah I just ordered a Carvin which depleated my bank account so I won't be purchasing another bass anytime soon! (not before x-mas and that's only IF I can find a job), I was just curious as to who did the whole binding thing and who would make somethign wacky like that. I asked Carvin but they don't do pickguards and the binding only comes on their acoustics.

I looked at the Aerodyne specs and it comes with binding (it just doesn't show it in the picture) Maybe it comes in seafoam...if ever I'm in the market for a mediocre/pretty good bass I might check it out. I could always order the mirror pickguard off the net or what not.