Basses with easy access to lower register

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unatratnag, Feb 27, 2006.

1. I was just reading about how the Skjold basses are 35" scale but feel/play like a 34". I was wondering if any of you know of any 34" basses that do the same thing where it's easier access to lower registers.
    I ask because I noticed while playing the corvette style body this weekend that when playing in the lower register I had to have my wrist kinked at a funny angle and increased the rate of fatigue when playing. I think this has to do with the fact that while standing the corvette balances in the middle of your body.
    When sitting this isn't an issue because the bass is off on your right knee and you can even lean forward to the headstock to get a better angle. I was wondering if you guys knew of any basses (or anything else you recommend) that would hang more like the bass does on your knee, where it's over to the side and the F1-G1 area is pretty easy to play without having to much angle put on one's wrists?
    I think my carvin is a little more comfy because it hangs more to the right of my body when i look at some old pictures and i'm sure the smaller neck helps too. Probably the longer horn *shrug*

I originally decided to draw a picture to help explain but I think the above explanation is adequate. However I'm an amazing artist (as discerned by my mother) so I'll share the picture anyways. A was as-is, and B was to-be. Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well no wonder!

The neck in A is all wavey!

3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont know any off the top of my head with 34" scale. Usually basses with smaller bodies are the ones this works on.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey what's's a link to my thread that i recently started on my lefay herr schwarz:

it's crazy easy to reach the first fret as you can see in the photos, my elbos is almost whacking the headstock in my 'dear sweet jeezus, it's finally here' pose...i think that it's attributed to the body and neck meeting at the 15th fret and the straplock attaching at just above the 12th fret...and if you go to the website, you can look at the back of the bass and see that it's a completely all-access neck joint...just thought i'd share the wealth...not sure how many lefays are over here in the states...
  5. Look into Curbow. Exquisite 34" scale basses with amazing necks and perfect access to all notes. They have a smaller body style and would balance perfectly for what you're describing. Quite pricey, but worth the investment.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My conklin balances really well with the long upper horn. Also, a warwick Fortress does as well.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, conklin is another good one
  8. Look for basses with an elongated upper horn - the weight of the bass should be shifted bringing the neck closer to your chest. If you can find one with a tight body shape you'd be set.

Most basses have upper horns that get to 'about' the 13th fret (Fender's, Musicman) while some extended to or even past the 12th (Peavey Milleniums & Grinds, Conklin GTs, Cort Curbows come to mind). Maybe one of those could be your ticket.

Good luck!
  9. I think that one of the big reasons that a Skjold would feel like this is that the bridge is very close to or touching the end of the body and is very close to the strap pin. This should shift the nut closer to your body when you are standing with the bass strapped on.

I believe that this is the same reason that my Dingwall is so easy to play standing. Even though the B has a 37" scale, the bridge is so close to the end of the body that it pulls the nut closer to your body when it is strapped on.
  10. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    get a 5 string so you can play at the 5th fret.
  11. Thanks for the sugguestion g00ey. I actually have an F# string so I can play at the 10th if I really want to ;) But I'm really looking for a bass with great balance so I can play open w/ open string E (different tone between playing open and closed as I'm sure you're aware). I actually have a custom bee bass on the way which was way more comfortable for me personally then any bass I had played before. Those have huge horns so after everyone's comments I'm looking forward to receiving it even more now (maybe I'll draw everyone a new pic when it arrive :) ). Thanks for the advice everyone!
  12. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    ah i see... then i have no suggestions for you :bag: .

13. Take up guitar, it's shorter.

Nah I'm kidding obviously! Try turning the entire bass on an angle more. So the headstock isn't pointing to your direct left, and move it so it's starting to point forward. I tend to play that way and over the end of the neck, it's VERY comfy.