Basses with good High-Mids

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Mar 7, 2002.

1. I have most fun playing with good trebly mids. What are some basses with nice natural high-mids? I know you could just achieve that sound with the EQ but that seems to make the soud too thin. Have any suggestions?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Like Woodchuck said.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Swamp ash gives great high mids!!! My ash FrankenPJ bass had great high mids. My ash Fender '57 RI P-bass had great high mids. My ash Lull P5 has great high mids.

P.S. To my ears, Warwicks have low-to-mid-mids. :) But they can do any mids very well, actually.
  7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with fuzz, Warwicks, IMO, have more of a low-mid sound than high-mid.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I usually find that short-scale basses have a nice middy snap to them:
    Gibson EB-3
    Danelectro Longhorn
    Guild Jetstar
  9. Wal and Warwick are indeed more low-midrangey, Wal especially so.
  10. When I think of "trebley", Rickenbacher comes to mind. They're not my cup of tea because they lack oomph and girth. But, if the "trebley" sound is what you're after, look no further...
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I beg to differ. The high mids on Warwicks are quite characteristic and indeed present, sometimes on the verge of being overbearing.

Personally, I can't get much low-mids (which I class as being in around the 200 Hz to 400 Hz range) from a bubinga-bodied Warwick without a fair amount of EQ tweaking. The high mids are there with the EQ left flat.

My Cirrus got plenty of them too, could it be the bubinga??
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Mr Dead : what do you mean by "lack of comph and girth" ?

I agree with the trebly sound of Rickenbacker, but what should be said is that they are definitely built to be played with a pick. Of course you can finger with it, but then the sound becomes that of any ordinary bass.

Just for fun, I join a pic of my Rick 4003. I don't know if I'll have it back repaired or if the distributor is going to exchange it (had a neck problem - this may occur sometimes).
  13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oops, don't know what happened, but seems the pic did not upload...
  14. What I mean is that Ricks lack any low end rumble, and high end crispness for that matter. Very focused in the upper mids (treble). They have very low output as well. But, when you send one output to a bass amp, the other to an all tube Marshall guitar amp and blend the sound, the Rick will do that "grit" sound better than any other bass will.
  15. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Agreed. The Rick-O-Sound is a pure wonder.

For great sound :
    - 1 bass amp with big boomer (1 x 15, or ideally 1 x 18 but they're not that easy to find)
    - 1 bass amp with 2 x 10 or 4 x 10 cabinet

The first one will receive signal from the neck PU, the second one that of the bridge PU. Drive control is very useful on both amps, since some moderate overdrive helps get that famous Rick tone.

And finally, all of this also allows you to experiment very different sounds, far from what is often heard from Rick bass players.
  16. I don't know if any of you guys know of this bass company, but James Tyler Basses have great low, mid, and high mids!

I know that Abraham Laboriel and Neil Stubenhaus use James Tyler Basses. Very busy midrange.
  17. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    High Mids sound good? Impossible...I don't believe Ricks are very midrangy....I hate midrange, but I love the sound of my Rick...