Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with great D and G string output ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hitman9696, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I was wondering about this... I don't where this is supposed to be, but I'll take a chance here.

I've noticed that some basses don't have very good output on those high strings, and some others do. Sorry, I can't name you any. That's why I started the thread. Is this true? Do you know any basses that have GREAT output on ALL string? I believe it is a crucial characteristic of a bass to evenly distribute output from all strings.

Thanks for your time.

2. it is just a matter of high end clarity and response. I would think that any high end bass should be good on that. Music Man, Peavey Cirrus, Spector, Lakland. definetly any of the ones in the high end custom catagory like roscoe, f-bass, benavente, fodera ect...

are you looking for a new bass or just asking the question for the sake of knowledge. but I agree one of the first things I look for when playing a new bass is the evenness in response over all the strings. and a lot of it has to do with the electronics too for what kind of sound you get out of each string.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    in my experience, MTD has the best high strings, bar none.

you can compare some clips at www.basstasters.com

try the chording ones for starters...

and setup, especially pickup height will drastically effect the output of the high strings...

4. thanks for the replies...

I'm not looking for a new basse for the moment, but this has bugged for some time, because I've noticed it. I believe it is one of the most important things to look for at when one buys a new basse.

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Try tilting the pickup so that it's closer to the G string than it is to the E string.

You want to get even output, not necessarily maximum output. Match everything to your weakest string, which in my experience has always been the G string.