Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basses with high tension

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by full_bleed, Feb 25, 2006.

1. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I may be needing a bass with seemingly very high string tension. They tune all the way down to A F A Eb. My Warwick feels a little to floppy for this tuning otherwise I would just you that. I'm currenlty stringing it with 110-50 DR's and I believe they are hex core. They are the same thing as the Bootzilla's but without the coating. So whatcha gots for me? Oh yeah and It's also got to have a strong low end and still stay defined.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What about just using the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set?

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm not to sure it'll fit in the nut properly and I'm not about to go and modify my warwick's nut

4. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    find a bass like the schecter scorpion bass, strung b e a d. then tune hte e up a half step, the b down a step and the d up 1.5 that seems to be your only option.

5. how about this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=513023

it looks like it was made for you! :)

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    you don't think it will feel funny tunning that one string up 1 1/2 steps? I would think that the tension would be extremely tight but just on that one string

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Dingwall.

8. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
  9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Are you looking for suggestions for basses that naturally have high string tension with the intention of buying one insead of modding your Warwicks nut???

If so, why not just buy another bass and do the nut mod on that so you can use bigger strings. All things being equal, your choices for drop tuning if you want to keep normal tension is to A) increase the string mass (guage) which will involve a new nut and intonation, and B) Increasing your scale length.

B) has some impractibility issues when you start getting much beyond 37 inches as the distance changes exponentially, and you are in the realm of custom builds only.

IMO A) is your best option, ideally starting out with a bass that has a very good build quality, rigid construction, solid neck joint, all the things that come up when people talk about basses with nice focused B's. Talk to JauqoII-X about his 34" scale basses with low C#'s and he'll explain how construction plays into the feel of the strings... Then get the proper strings guages for the tuning you want (SIT will sell you individuals of whatever guage you want) and get it set up right. You may need to start off with a blank nut since the strings you are planning on tuning UP will be smaller than the originals, and you can't make the nut slots smaller.

10. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Now that you say that I did notice the last time I picked up a spector that it had really tight strings. It's to bad they look like fugly monkey's. I won't rule it out though

11. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Good advice thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. I've seen the b string posts all over the place. Hmmm this my be an excuse to get a barebones custom with graphite or carbon fiber rods in the neck.

12. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    I like the way my Spector looks with a natural oil finish.. but to each his own.

13. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    scale length, string mass and tuning are the things that will determine the tension on the strings