Basses with light necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've been having a LOT of hand problems lately, so i was just curious to see if any of you know some basses with SUPER light necks. Even my Modulus is getting to me, so i think im going to be going shopping here soon.

Anyone got some in mind?
  2. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Whaddya mean light? Thin profile? Holdin up neck dive...?
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    If you're talking about neck dive try a Kubicki ex-factor. They are perfectly balanced and have absolutely zero neck dive.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I checked in with Kevin Brubaker after playing one of his new NBS-1 model basses. It had a body made of Paulownia, which felt almost weightless ;) Sounded and played great. Worth checking out. He's a small builder who's starting to catch on.
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    The smallest neck I've seen is, by far, the steinbeger. It was so small, I sold mine, couldn't get used to it.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, i didnt mean neck dive necessary, i just meant actual neck WEIGHT. The problems with my hands happen whether im standing or sitting, generally.

Anyway, thanks guy! The Brubakers look awesome, i remember seeing them a couple years back at Harmony Central and being wowed then, too!
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Angus, check out an Ibanez EDB or EDC.

Those dang luthite bodies are so heavey that they make the neck point up at a 45 degree angle.

Only bass that I have ever played that feels body heavy!
  8. Angus,

I'm curious as to how the weight of the neck, if dive is not an issue, is affecting your hand. Maybe it's a technique issue - you shouldn't be supporting the neck with your fretting hand at all.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Stingray, i dont think its a matter of technique, as im a HUGE advocate of proper left hand/thumb technique. Ive yet to hear any of my teachers say there something wrong with it over the years.

Dont know if you remember, but i had injured my hand pretty badly about 6 months back, and it stems from that. Neck dive is an issue, i just meant thats its not the only one, i suppose. Ive played basses with heavy necks with no neck dive (like my Tune, etc) that just hurt like hell. My hand therapist suggested that it could be due to heavy necks, so im curious to see what other people think here. She is a musician too, so i dont think shes totally out there. Buuut, i dont know. For know, im living with the pain.

Embellisher...BAD BOY! BAD BAD BAD BOY! :D
  10. Mmm... that'll do it. jeez, I'd hate to see you have to give up the Modulus (of course if you're looking to unload it cheap...;):D)

Have you tried experimenting with different strap heights? Sometimes wearing the bass a little higher can take some of the pressure off the hand. Good luck!
  11. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    just a thought, but maybe your hand still needs a little more time getting rehabilitated. lighter guaged strings or a set with less tension (softer feel) might be what you need. at least until your hands recover completely and have regained it's peak performing condition.
  12. Hey Angus,I don't know how high or low you wear your strap.Years ago I sprained both of my wrists in an accident (this was before I was a musician).When I finally started playing bass, I had a tendency to wear my strap pretty low(I have long arms and my elbows weren't adjusting to the short strap length.)As I've gotten older,I've noticed that my left and right hands were straining to do their bass chores.So recently I've shortened my strap and the strain in my left hand has gone away,my right elbow is another story.Anyways,I hope changing your strap length might alleviate some of your pain.But then again,I'm no doctor and all of this might be pointless.Hope you heal soon!!!
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why don't you try some headless basses, e.g. Status?
    Most of the neck's 'weight' comes from the headstock and the machine heads.
  14. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I am kinda of new to basses and do not know all the terms so could someone explain what neck dive is.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    As far as strap goes, i wear my bass high. Always have. I HATE wearing it low! I just play anything lower than my waist. I wouldnt THINK thats it, but my strap can't go any shorter!

BTW, you can have my Modulus...when you pry it out of my cold dead hands! :D

JMX, i considered getting a Status a while back, but ive only played two, neither of which were headless, and, for that money, id want to try them before hand. But, definitely a possibility!
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Neck dive is a tendency for the bass neck to want to be at a 90 degree angle to the floor, or even more acute, and the tendency for most bassists to want their bass at a more obtuse angle to the floor than this, and resulting in compensating for said dive by trying to support the weight of the neck with the fretting hand, which can lead to serious problems.

Basses noted for neck diving include most Gibson Thunderbirds, some Warwick Thumbs and most any bass with a headstock, heavy neck wood and a small and/or lightweight body.

The worst I ever played was my first attempt at a 5 string, a beautiful Westone Pantera with a small body and huge, heavy neck, kinda like a Warwick 4 but with wide 5 spacing. I tried to play that bass for about 6 months, and was in pain in my left wrist pretty much all of the time. The only time the pain went away is if I didn't play it for 2 weeks.

I pawned it for 1/2 of what I paid for it and never looked back. I do miss the Westone Quantum Steinberger copy that I traded in on it though.:(