1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses with lowest action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had my Stingray at 1/32" at the 12th for a while. Very low, made tapping extraoardinarily easy.

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I keep my MIA Fender J deluxe extremely low , I love it theres a little bit clicking sound from it but nothing to bad and its also great for slaping

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i played a status stealth last year. that had the lowest action without any fret buzz AT ALL i have ever come across!!! silky smooth neck too... i love carbon fibre :rolleyes:

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ritters are freaking low for a fretted bass. That PLEK fret stuff really works.

My MIA deluxe P has a pretty low action for a fender. I love it.

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Dingwall Z1 :spit:

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Dont dingwalls come with mandolin/banjo frets?

7. Yes.

8. + 1.

I find that my JazzBass can have a very low action and no fretbuzz, but once the strings get old and floppy, theres always the need for another setup. it'll buzz all over the place.
    but thats normal.

nothing beats the action on my fretless though. lol.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    The lowest action I've seen were on Ken Smith, Modulus, and Zon basses. I've got my Sadowsky action set very low also.

10. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Do you have opinion or experience on the PLEK treatment (http://www.plek.com)? My Ritter 4-string bass was PLEK dressed, and it certainly seems possible to set strings to any height desired without buzz. I don't much care for super-low settings, but it's nice to have the flexibility.

11. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    +1

I set my Z1 fiver pretty low; however, with heavey playing I'll get some buzz. I think the G is just a hair above 1 mm (at the 12th fret), the B is a hair above 2 mm. The E is right at 2mm. A Cirrus can get pretty low as well.

Eric

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 to you both :)

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've played Mike Flynn's (formerly 'urb_munki') Warwick Thumb, which has the lowest action of any bass I've tried. It practically plays itself!

14. Benavente baby!!!

15. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I'll second what JR said about Modulus - I've yet to play anything as low as my Q5.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

+1

I have most of my basses set up stupid low. Even my Fender Jazz Geddy Lee and my $99 SX P bass copy. The lowest is my Cirrus (fretted) and my Zon (fretless).

17. bfitz

bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    i have an old kawai bass that have very low action. i also own a spector that has good action

18. the lowest ive played was a preavey cirrus. The strings were practically on the frets.

19. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    If you haven't tried 'em, LaBella Super Steps(I use the .045-.105 set) will get you about half a string width closer to your frets(at the same bridge height) than non-exposed core strings. I've been using them on my fretted basses for about 8 years straight. My Warwick Corvettes are stupit low.

20. And I'm yet to play anything as low as my Flea. I used to have it stupid low, like seriously stupid low. Put any excessive force when plucking, and QUACK! That modulus bite. Now it's a bit higher, so I can have more control over the dynamics.