Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with massive lowend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    So what's the bass with those absolute deep, moving lows? I'm talking about the kind of low that isn't heard often. The low found in bands like fear factory and coal chamber. The lowest of the low. What bass has got killer lows?

2. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I play stuff like coal chamber, dry kill logic, korn, mudvayne. And my Ibanez BTB405 handles it fine.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's a lot of amp right there.

Christian Olde Wolbers used custom Fender 5 strings, with a pickup at the bridge, and Rana Foss used Ibanez SR basses. What you're hearing as massive low end is usually an Ampeg amp, and either a detuned bass, or a whole lotta amplification pushing that low end.

Neither of those basses are really low end monsters, but they get a deep sound, due to the rigs they are played through. You want thundering lows? Get a 2x15 or an 1x18 to sit under/next to a 4x10 or better, feed it with about 1000+ watts, and fire up the bass head of your choice. That'll go miles farther than any bass you could buy.

But, iffin you're stuck on a bass... Roscoe, Modulus, Dingwall, ect.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Gibson EB-0, t'is a fine bass drum. :D

5. I agree with Brendan. The choice of bass is to a large extent irrelevant. Huge fat lows come from a big rig, lots of power and lots of speakers.

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I think with bands like that, it's more down to serious detuning and good recording techniques than to the basses they play or how good players they are (I had the misfortune of watching Coal Chamber once, and, I'm sorry to say, Rayna totally sucked as a bass player...).

For huge low end, you can't beat a Music Man for thickness, or a good ol' Precision. An MM with a bit of compression on it seems to provide more low-end guts than anything else I've heard (I'm thinking Tony Levin on "People" by King Crimson).

All IMHO, of course... :D

Russ :bassist:

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Also keep in mind that there's a lot of "studio wizardry" involved.
    What you hear on an album is (very) rarely just the result of a bass and amp only. Compressors, EQ, exciters, etc.