Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with no trusrods????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Whats the deal with basses with no trussrods? How do you adjust your action? I dont understand how they work can someone explain please?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    With trussrod-less basses, you adjust the action with the string height.
    These kind are are, and for a reason. I only know of some graphite-necked Modulus basses that didn't have trussrods - but even some of those developed problems.

3. Or Wishbasses, but, well...

;)

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    To quote Carl Thompson loosely, making a bass that cant be adjusted claims you've made the perfect bass, which no one has ever done. While most graphite necks will hold up fine without a trussrod, if they don't (and some don't), your SOL.

Id personally never buy a bass without a trussrod.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, I was thinking more along the lines of reputable bass makers...

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me neither.

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that's pretty good!

I had a Steinberger 5'er without a truss rod, it stayed straight as an arrow..... even for a nearlyy 20 year old bass.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Your action (height of strings above the neck, up and down the neck) is determined by two things: the neck shape (relief), and bridge height.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

My Steinberger XL-2 has no truss rod. I've had it almost 20 years without the slightest hint of a problem. Never had fret buzz, etc. I agree that if it's not manufactured correctly, a neck without a truss rod would be unfixable. However, mine was made correctly, and is still as straight as an arrow.

Sometimes I wish my Ric were as trouble free as my XL-2.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Usually, but not always. I've got 2 basses with fir necks. They have truss rods but don't need them. Interesting wood for a neck tho; the next one won't have a rod. It will be interesting to see how it affects the sound.

11. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Neither of my Vigier basses have truss rods. The fretted was made in 1989, the fretless in 1995 and they are spot on. One less thing to worry about!! :hyper:

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I believe early fenders had no trus- rods.