Basses with painted necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 17, 2004.

Do you like basses with painted necks?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2004.
  1. YES - Looks and feels just as good as wood.

2. NO - I prefer the look and feel of natural wood.

3. It all depends on the bass.

4. Doesn't matter - Both feel about the same.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Your thoughts? Like 'em? Yay or Nay?

Attached Files:

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I fidn that a lot of neck through basses do this because otherwise it looks awkward to have the body and neck have a line where the paint stops. I like emm depending on teh color.
  3. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I like the silky feel of a satin neck myself. When I work myself into a frenzy and get all sweaty and stuff, a finished neck seems to slow me up a bit. With my Spectors, I used to take some fine sandpaper and scuff the necks up for that unfinished feel.
  4. my spector does fine with neck paint...
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    got any pics of it gazman? ( i have spector euro 4 gas :()
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    my Carvin's painted neck feels fine, and my oiled-satiny neck on ym Aria is just as comfortable.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    As long as it feels good... whatever.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to hate finished necks, until I started playing Modulus Quantums (some say they have "sticky necks"), now finished necks don't bother me at all from a playing standpoint.

I prefer the look of painted/finished necks on neck throughs, I guess. On bolt ons, leave it natural for me.
  9. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    NAY ...and in a big way! :mad: Any painted neck I've ever played on was a big ole sticky mess. Talk about thumb drags and slow position changes. :scowl: That doesn't necessarily mean than an oiled neck is the only way to go either (I also shy away gloss finishes too), but a satin finish seems to be the compromise that I've arrived at that does the best for me. You don't really have to deal with the sticky, glomby, dragging issues that paint and high gloss create, but you have a bit more protection and less maintenance than you would with just an oil finish. That's just me, though..... ;)
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Gotta agree with you there. It's one of the reasons why I prefer my Spector Rebop over my NS2000/5. The feel of the NS2000's neck has always bugged me.
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think there's a decent amount of confusion here about the overlapping of various terms being thrown about in this thread. For example, my two Yamahas have painted necks with a satin finish - easily the equal of oil/wax-finished necks I've played. In the opposite direction, my Ibanez SR-1206 and Fender Jazz both have no paint, natural wood necks but with heavy poly finishes that I've had to take 0000-grade steel wool to, in order to eliminate some pretty harsh drag.

Painted doesn't automatically = thick gloss, and wood doesn't automatically = natural oil and/or wax. You can have a "satin" finish either way, which is why I voted "It all depends on the bass".
  12. Only one I've played that was painted was a custom Stingray and it felt perfectly fine to me.
  13. Pretty much every painted-neck bass I've played has been sticky like drying glue. It seems like they have to be constantly polished to stay smooth.
  14. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Ever since I started playing basses with tung oiled necks I could never go back to painted/finished necks.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have three basses with painted necks. One of them is glossy, and it gets pretty sticky.

The other two have a satin finish, and they do not get sticky at all. They are as fast as any oil finish neck I have played.
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If it's satin a la Musicman painted necks, it should be fine, really. Glossy finishes, natural or painted or whatever, slow people down, not the colour of the neck.
  17. I'm loving that orange spector at the top! My bass is gonna be getting that colour soon.
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Exactly. Everyone complains about the finished Bongo neck (amongst other things ;) ) and it's simply a satin finish. Period. There is a clear satin finish over the color, so it's no different than any maple neck sealed with a satin finish. I make a point not to waste my time with people who can't figure that out, or accept it.

Now, aesthetics are one thing. There are some basses that look like toys to me with painted necks, but I love the looks of others.
  19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I like the oil/wax combo on my EB basses MUCH more than the thick coat of paint that was on the neck of the Modulus Genesis 5 I used for a while. However, I find myself adjusting the truss rod about 3x more often. Not sure if the finish is part of that phenomenon, tho...could just be the graphite/wood difference. Plus, Moduli smell like black pepper.