Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with Sentimental Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by not_jason, Aug 4, 2004.

1. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    i did a quick search and i didn't find any threads like this already in existance. forgive me if their are and i didn't notice them or if this is terribly out of place.

anywho.

presumably, every instrument you own and play heavily inevitably gains some sentimental value to you.

So I guess the point of this thread is to share stories and pictures of instruents you own/owned/wish you owned/etc that you apply particular sentimental value to.

be it your first bass, the bass you learned on, a bass you really wanted but never got to own, etc etc. for the sake of this thread it doesn't even matter if the instruments are complete and total crap.

GO!

2. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    here is one of mine, i posted this exact message in another thread, so pardon my being compltely redundant.

for the past 4 years i've given all my love to a 5 piece powerpop band that went by the name of ozma. while they never achieved major mainstream success, they have done two national tours with Weezer, two east coast tours with Nada Surf, and all with the musicians in or just graduated from high school. Their bassist is a genius musician by the name of Daniel Brummel who I've always looked up to, and i've learned so much from him over the years. Recently, a result of changing directions and personal conflict, the band broke up. Daniel is going on to do his own thing solo, but as he's no longer a touring bassist, he found himself with no need for his backup touring bass, so he offered it to me, and i bought it.

i appologize for the rant. basically, it's a 1980 squire jazz bass, made in japan. It sounds extremely sweet and has the lowest action i've ever seen on a jazz bass. one of the pots was sort of dead so i just replaced the whole control plate with one i had sitting around. here are some pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a suier affinity P-bass that i learned on, and I still have it. It has gone through quite a few permutations, and pickups swaps, and sticker attacks. But it still rocks out. I glued in the neck, settled on some EMG's, and am stickerifying it. It's the beater, too.
    My jazz has one bad scratch, and I was really angry when that happened... I guess it too would be a sentimental bass. I have thought of trading it a few times, but never actually went through with it. I just can't let myself get rid of it. It sounds tooooo good.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119246

Somehow, i now have five basses (even after giving away an Essex P). Since i posted the above link, ive found the bass is a '69. Well sixties and Fender make for a magic combination on the market place, buit i cant do it. I just ordered a Seymour Duncan SCPB-3, because sentimental value only goes so far and this thing needs a PU upgrade.

6. My blue Reverend has a lot of sentimental value, especially now that they're not going to make basses anymore. I've done more gigging on that bass that any other, and it was with me for a lot of roadtrips. If I could only keep one bass, that'd be it.

7. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Her name is pinky. I treat her very very very poorly.

8. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    My Columbus P. I don't know much about the manufacturer, as far as I can tell it's a '70s Japanese company which did some Fender clones and could produce some quite reasonable ones. I got the thing 2nd hand a couple of decades ago when I was still at school and it was responsible for my immersion into the world of bass playing. It plays hideously and sounds really great; it can get that Stranglers sound right up to 11. :D Dunno if I'll continue to use it much as the neck's like a lump of varnished telegraph pole, but considering I'd get all of fifty quid for it second hand I'm definitely not parting with it! That said, I still wouldn't sell it for ten times that amount: it's mine, so keep your grubby hands off. :)

Chris.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ha thats awesome.

Whats all the writing on the back, any significant signatures? or is it random saying/phrases?

10. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    it's a custom that whenever anybody new is hanging out in my room, they sign the bass.

11. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    i love it when girls make the first move.

after that, me and the girl who wrote it ended up dating for a couple months. good times.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    This was the only thing I got after my road band's explosion.....I've had it since '76.
    [​IMG]

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This Violin bass was a bass i was really lusting after a few years after i started to play bass. I really have had an etraction to violin shapped basses for some reason, it isint even beatles related either.So when i was in my early teens i found one but didint have the money right away but a few days later i got my first job doing odd jobs for a neighbor so i saved and saved for well over a month and when i came back it was sold. It never occured to my to put a deposit on it, i was heartbroken. Almost 10 years later whille looking around TB one Saturday afternoon i happen apon a thread about a Orlando Violin Bass, just a few weeks after loosing on ebay for a similar bass to the one i lost many years before. So the owner was looking for info on the bass and all that i asked if he was interested in selling and he sure was so that is how finaly came to own this bass. Scroll down in the thread and their is the bass http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105105 . :)

14. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    see, i'm attached to almost all my guitars/basses

15. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    My trusty old SR990 which I just sold off this week... :bawl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somehow, things just don't feel the same anymore...

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass!:) That bass is :cool: - Do you gig with it, or is it just a conversation piece? I love pink basses, and that one is teh r0x0rZ!

17. [​IMG]

That's my first and only bass. It's gotten a makeover. I went a little crazy with some silver nail polish, and I'm starting to sticker it up. I also swapped two of the knobs with my SG. It looks ghetto as all get out, but I think that gives it character. I won't get rid of her. I named her Butch.

18. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    i have played it at shows, but never an important show... if that tells you anything. ;)

[​IMG]

that's a picture of me rockin' it at a show in april. that was before i made my suicidegirl pickguard backdrop. I have a homemade plexiglass pickguard,s o occasionally i replace the pictures behind it, when i feel like making a change. i don't play it often live because she's fretless, and although i'm plenty capable of playing fretless, for a lot of my more intricate stuff, i'd prefer to have the safteynet of frets live. not to mention that this thing sounds like crap.

if you care to hear it in action, i use it for a few seconds at the end of "fives and sixes" on www.purevolume.com/alcatraznighttour which is my one man band.