Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with "Signature" sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Aug 9, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm thinking of buying one last bass (yeah, right), but am looking for some ideas...
    I got to thinking of different bass tones and thought of some that have a unique sound that, for the most part, you can tell what kind of bass it is as soon as you hear a few notes:

1) Musicman Stingray/Sterling
    2) Warwick
    3) Spector
    4) Sadowsky
    5) Kubicki

Any others?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Fender Jazz Bass.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Fender Precision Bass
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Rickenbacker 4001/4003
    Gibson Thunderbird
    Gibson RD Artist

Basses equipped with EMG pickups and made of material such carbon fiber or similar. Steinberger

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i'm gonna hafta disagree with the whole fender signature sound. Everyone wants that stringray sound, but they say you really can't get it without a real stingray. Fender does have a signature sound, but everyone copies it. Buy any fender copy and if its good you cant tell the difference in sound. Alot of times other manufacturers other than fender copies try to emmulate that fender tone also. So i would say a fender doesn't have a signature sound, its like the jon doe sound. Oh and so no fender fans are mad at me, i do like the sound. I just don't think its only fender that has that sound. They were the first but they won't be the last.

5. I think a Rickenbacker is the one I can most readily identify, then maybe a Music Man. After that I can't really think of anything. Ashbory maybe?

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey hyperlitem

if a lot of brands copy the fender sound, how is possible that fender has not a signature sound.
    fender is the standard sound and every other bass has to compared to fender. fender shaped the sound of electric bass and this is for me enough to let me say that fender precision nd fender jazz are basses with a signature sound. if you don't like fender this is another story...

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In terms of instantly recognizing a bass after hearing a few notes, I'd have to vote for a TBird, J, P and Stingray. Those 4 basses have signature sounds, if any do. Of course, there are others. Alembic Series, Ken Smith, etc.

8. Another bass that I can most always pick out of the mix is a Modulus Quantum. Might want to consider that.

What do you already have? What do you want to achieve?

Jeff

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my point about fenders being this:

if yoiur listening to an album in your car and you hear the bass yoiu can tell usually if the bassist is playin a stingray or rick. Those 2 basses have a completely different sound. A fender on the other hand, you can tell its that signature fender tone, but are they playing a fender?? because many companies sound like a fender you can't always tell if it is a fender. Sure fender has a sweet tone, they were the first but they are always copied, whereas a rick or stingray is not. Its not an issuse of who has the best tone. Its whos tone is easily recongnizable by company, and IMHO fender you can't always tell when someone is playing a fender.

10. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
  11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there are 3 basses i can always tell what they are just by hearing:

Almost any warwick
    Fender Precision bass (or clone)
    Fender Jazz bass (or clone)

i think Alembics have a pretty unique tone too, but i don't know if i could pick it out.

jason