Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basses with skinny necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, May 22, 2005.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I like basses with skinny necks. I'm looking to get one with humbuckers. I have a warrick rockbass streamer with humbuckers but the neck is just a bit too thick for me. What brands have skinny necks and available in humbuckers models?

2. try Ibanez.

3. Absolutely. The Soundgears are known for their 'pencil necks'.

4. +1 for ibanez,

(look at my sig ;) )

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Fender Jazz basses (especially the Geddy Lee) have thin necks. I prefer the jazz neck over the Ibanez mainly because I find the string spacing on the Ibanez too close imho. :eyebrow:

6. Yep, Ibanez. Also check out Dean.

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Try a stingray.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I thought Stingray's had fat necks? Fatter than a Sterling anyway. I always heard the annology that a Stingray neck is like a P and a Sterling is like a J. Anyway, I'd recommend a Sterling, as well as a Cirrus.

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I like some narrow/skinny necks. My personal favorites are G&Ls with #6 or #8 necks (1.5" wide at the nut). You could find an L-2000 with a #6 or #8 neck and have humbuckers with one.

The Schecter C-4 has a very skinny neck as well, narrower than 1.5" at the nut according to the BP shootout. EMG HZ humbuckers, I believe.

I've found my Steinberger Spirit XZ-2db to have an acceptably skinny neck for me as well, but it sits a little different and has taken some modification to get to work for me. EMG Select humbuckers on those.

Rumors have a dual HB Musicman Sterling coming this summer. That would be a sweet combination of skinny neck and dual humbuckers.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Check out Ibanez.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Isn't EB/MM introducing a double-humbucker Sterling this year? If the rumour is true, that's your ticket!

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Except he said humbuckers, so he'd either have to get the Deluxe, or swap out pickups.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My Yamaha Attitude Plus has a skinny neck. The width at the nut measures 1 9/16".

14. Just what I was thinking.

Its more than a rumor. Sterling Ball himself told us this at the EB forums.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Sterling.

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Can't you order a G&L with a neck size of your choice?

17. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    ibanez Sr models

18. Conklin GT series. the GT-5 has 17mm spacing at the bridge.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually....what measurements define skinny? Are we talking nut width or measuring the back of the neck to the top of the fret board?

20. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Ibanez SRX sreies or wait for the dual HH Sterling. If your budget allows I would wait for the Sterling.

I own an Ibanez SRX and I like it alot but I'm pretty confident that the Sterling would be much more versatle.