Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with the Baritone switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 26, 2004.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am speaking about the Baritone switch found on old Gibson basses. (EB-2).

i would like to know id you have ever tried a solid body bass with this switch. And i am very interested in knowing if it is possible to duplicate this switch (schematic) and add it to a fender style bass.

i am thinking to a second custom built warmoth.... ;)

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If you're talking about a Precision style...I've seen the swich on my Hondo Longhorn (Precision pickup) bass described as a baritone switch, but it seems like it's a series/parallel switch. See this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140369
    Does the trick for me...sounds great.

Of course jazz basses sometimes have a s/p switch too. Check the pickup forum and it's been discussed a lot.

May not be what you're looking for but it's a neat and easy modification.

Marshall

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am talking about the bartone switch of the gibson basses.

i would love to hear it on a fender style bass and i am asking if it is possible to make one of these and try it out...

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Have i started a silly thread?

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    What does it do?

6. yes, please enlighten me too!

7. CloudyKnuckles

CloudyKnuckles

Aug 23, 2010
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Uh, get that bass away from the droid at FA! :rolleyes:

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

The "baritone" switch places a capacitor in line with the pickup to roll off the bottom end, very simple.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I added a switch like that to my doublneck eb3/sg combo for the mudbucker neck pup on bass side. Dont remember what value I used though since that was back in the 1970's with help of electronics class teacher to pick right value.

11. MikeBC

MikeBC

Oct 28, 2009
    My EB2D, also a semi-hollow body with a baritone switch. Because the bridge pickup is a smaller humbucker, the b-switch on the EB-2 can produce a brighter guitar sound. It is also a different sound from a Ric.

I use it sometimes when I am given a lead or a solo. Sometimes if both guitarists are dueling leads, I might play more of a basic rhythm guitar with the b-switch on or go back and forth from a bass line and rhythm guitar style.

With the 2 pups my 4-string has a pretty wide tone range. Even with the black nylon wrapped strings I am currently using.

A very dramatic effect is to have only the bridge pup on, the baritone switch on, and be riding a sustain or feedback and then quickly switch to the big neck pup and slam the b-switch off to get back to a very deep bass sound and get back to the groove. Cheap thrills.

Some guitarists have borrowed it from time to time for a different effect.

Unfortunately this too is not a solid body like our host is wondering about.

12. Harmony basses (like the H-22) had one, when switched on it would just direct the signal to bypass the tone pot and go through a capacitor to filter out some of the low end. It should be very simple for a tech with electronics/wiring knowledge to be able to install one. The schematic for the Harmony H-22's wiring is out there somewhere on the internet, try a Google search...

My reissue Epi Rivoli has one, but it is not like the vintage EBs, instead it has a weird little transformer or something that affects the tone.

[edit] I found it: http://harmony.demont.net/documents/schematics/H22_H25_Bass.php

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'd love to know what that guitar store thinks they're accomplishing by putting that astonishingly irritating nincompoop in these videos.

The baritone switch is easily the most useless gimmick ever put on a musical instrument. There's a reason it never appeared on any other bass guitar - because the sound it created was awful. I can't understand why anyone would want such a thing on their bass. Especially after listening to it on an EB-2.

14. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    check these Gibson EB2 soundclips.

To me, baritone switch + bridge pickup is the most useable EB2D tone

15. MikeBC

MikeBC

Oct 28, 2009
    The baritone switch is easily the most useless gimmick ever put on a musical instrument. There's a reason it never appeared on any other bass guitar - because the sound it created was awful. I can't understand why anyone would want such a thing on their bass. Especially after listening to it on an EB-2.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps some can see and hear more possibilities than others.

16. i Play a squire active jazz deluxe IV with a switch like that. I dont use it a whole lot. The only time i can think of is when i use distorstion on my bass.

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Of course. Like those people who hear voices in the room when there's no one else there.

18. Actually on that website they incorrectly call it a "bass boost" switch... So those soundclips with "bass boost activated" are actually clips without the baritone switch activated, and vice versa.

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Exactly correct

20. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Apex, NC
    I didn't even have to click on the video to know which store and which guy you were talking about :D.