Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with thin necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew West, Aug 29, 2001.

1. My main bass is an Aria Pro II that I've loaded with Bartolini's. While I love that bass, I've decided that I'd like to find another bass that I can use regularly as well. Who cares that the Aria is Korean made, it's the best playing bass I've ever played, and I've played quite a few in the past ten years. The other night, I realized that the thing that makes my Aria so comfortable is that the neck is so thin (not narrow, but thin). Are there any other companies that make basses with really thin necks? I have a Jazz that I don't really like playing because the neck seems too thick. I was thinking about a Rickenbacker, as I've heard they have pretty thin necks.

Any ideas?

2. Fernandes has some pretty thin necks, but they only make about 3 decent models......

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    G&L makes a pretty thin neck. The Fender Performer had the thinnest neck I've ever played.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey G-bass.

6. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    thin isn't always the best ,I used to think this too but then I found stingrays and spectors.I played an old ibanez RD707 for years it had a neck like a parker fly,I now play a spector NS 4 CRFM and play faster and smoother but the neck is not as thin,it has a lot to do with basic dimensions,it's neck is still much thinner than say a fender pee bass(yes I ment to spell it that way sry )but not as thin as some ibanez but I would never go back.:cool:

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Carvin basses have a fairly thin neck profile. At least the neckthroughs that I have owned did. They play really well and look good also.

If you are thinking less expensive, pick up a Washburn bantam if you get the chance. They have a very comfortable neck and are put together pretty good.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Peavey Pallaedium has a damn thin neck. I love it, and I'm having Curbow make me a rockwood copy of it since it is twisting a bit.

Since they don't make these any more, I'd say look into the Dean Jeff Berlin Bass. He says the neck is a little thicker than the Peavey, but I bet it's still pretty thin.

9. Thanks for the help so far

What I'm look for is a good rock bass (I mostly play indie rock). Looking to stay under $1000 or so. I'm also looking to stay away from Ibanez, Peavey, etc. I'm sure they're good basses, but I would feel wierd playing one on stage.

Unfortunately, aesthetics are as important to me as sound and functionality. Think Rickenbacker 4003, Thunderbird, etc.

I may just have to get off my ass and go look at stuff. Oh well...

10. 'I played an old Ibanez RD707 for years, it had a neck like a parker fly' - flipperwhite

:D
    well said

11. Dean basses have really thinest necks I´ve ever played..

12. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    A-ha!

Musicman Sterling! I LOVE IT!

13. Do you mean thin side to side? Or front to back?

14. chipmolter

chipmolter Guest

Aug 27, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Ibanez has one of the thinnest necks I've played, but as flipperwhite said, thin helps with playability, but doesn't guarantee the best.

Try the Spector. Musician's Friend is selling the discontinued NSCR-4 string for $899, one hell of a deal. The neck has a gloss finish, and is chunkier than some others, but it fits perfectly in my hand. And the sound is so crisp.

I'm not saying "BUY THE SPECTOR", but don't write it off.

15. dwbentley

dwbentley

May 5, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    You should check out a Ken Smith bass.

16. I'm talking about thickness between the fretboard and the back of the neck.

17. You may want to check out Hamer basses. I'm not sure if they normally have thin necks, but a 5 string I tried once had a super thin neck. Very comfortable. (sweet b string, too, if you're into the whole 5 string thing ;))

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i own and play a rickenbacker 4001 and a thunderbird, together with a jazz bass. speaking about the neck the basses have great necks, but slighlty different from each other. to me a thin and fast neck is epitome for jazz bass neck. the gibson thunderbird has a neck profile similar to a jazz but with bigger frets. the rickenbacker otherwise is a little bigger but with different and bigger radius. they are very confortable and the rick neck is the best if you want a low action. mine has the lowest action i found on a bass without buzzing. rick neck is the best in workmanship, binding, frets and woods. gibson neck is made by wonderful mahogany and walnut woods. the jazz is a 62 reissue and foe me it's the most confortable.

RICK 4001
    pros
    woods, finishes, lowest action, double truss rod, neck thru body. very confortable and high durability, mine is 1980 and it sems new!
    cons
    none

THUNDERBIRD
    pros
    thinner like a jazz neck, big frets, marvellous dark fingerboard, neck thru it's quite new and not a lot played by the former owner.
    cons
    it gets dirty faster than the others, maybe this is due to the back finishes

JAZZ
    pros
    thinner and faster. the neck i prefer due to dimension and comfort. bolt on, it's 1982 with a lot of playing hours on the neck and i love used necks and frets.
    cons
    the nutshell needsd a change on mine

hope it helps