Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses with tremelo bars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Oct 27, 2005.

1. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Ok. How many people on the forums own basses with tremelo bars? If so, what sort of bass is it, was it originaly part of the bass or is it a mod, does it work well and how do you intergrate it into your playing? I love the concept of having one (one day I shall buy a ritter bass with one of their tremelos) and am one of those sinful player who occasionaly love to crank up the distortio and rip into lower frequency distorted frenzys... I love the dirty look I get from guitarists for it too... and I'm sure a tremelo bar would assist in this process, as well as perhaps bringing some interesting sounds into funkier and blusesy stuff... so whats your opinion and who makes the best tremelo?

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I have a bass being built at the moment that will have a trem on it. It's going to be a Stambaugh SCNT4 with a Kahler 2410 model trem.

This will be my first bass with one on it, so I really have no opinion on it yet.

I did do some research and compaired the pros & cons of different types of tremolos, like ABM, Hipshot, and Kahler. From the way they're built and functionality, and I put my money on the Kahler. They seem to be built tougher, and require less routing. They'll cost you more, but I do believe it will be worth it in the long run. I guess I'll soon find out first hand if it was worth the money.

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I have an alvarez 4 string with a hipshot tremelo, The alvarez was my first bass and i still love it to bits. I had the tremelo installed last year. The tremelo cost me 200$ and the installation cost 250$ lol.. only paid a 100$ for the bass itself.... Well worth it, The guy did an exceptionally clean job. I use the tremelo only when accents or "swooping" harmonics is called for... I mess with it when i'm just jammin alone. I try hard not to overuse it when im woking with other players, it's not for everyone. The hipshot tremelo is very smooth and i have virtually no tuning issues. This bass is my favorite bass of alltime. Hope this helped
    Peace

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Tune makes basses with tremelo bars.

5. I'd love to have a bass with a U-Bar tremolo like the Ibanez K7 guitar:

[​IMG]

6. please dont make a floyd rose for bass...please please please

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, I won't.

I have a Guitar Factory bass with a Kahler. I sue it for things like dive bombs, fretless imitation, bending harmonics, and sometimes I even use it to play notes out of range of a regular 4-string.

8. i wouldnt mind one on a jazz...just a question...do they have springs like a strat tremolo

9. I want a trem on my bass SOOOO bad. Next time I get a new bass I plan for it to be a Schecter Stiletto (either custom or elite), and I think I might just get a Kahler put on it.

10. the studio stillettos are so good

11. Never played one. How do they compare to the others?

BTW, how many different Stiletto styles are there? I know of Deluxe, Custom, Elite, Studio and Exotic. And if possible, do you know the differences between them?

12. havent played the exotic..the deluxe is ok, id pass on one, the customs are better, but the studios are the top of the bunch IMO, emgs, neck through, bubinga/mahogany body....so good

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not like a Strat, but they do have springs.

14. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I bought this Kramer new way back when (my first 'real' bass) then in the later 80s had the kahler installed. You really have to stretch the strings out before you can use it without knocking it out of tune, but once they are set it works pretty good. I still have this, but never use it because it weighs a ton. I finally got a schaller m4 tuner replacement for the one that was broken in this pic.
    [​IMG]

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, the Hipshot ones require the back of the body to be routed like a Strat. Kahlers are self contained in a wee little unit and work wonderfully.

I used to own an '84 BC Rich Warlock with a Kahler 2410 and it was one phenominal bass. However, the neck wasn't stable enough for the tremolo and bent under pressure and the bass rarely came back in tune so I sold it. Every other Kahler I've played has been flawless.

16. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a FrankenJazz with a Kahler...love it. I've had it since they first came out.

It's in the middle of a refinish, once it's done I'll post some pics.

17. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005

SWEEEEEEEET

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Anyone thinking of installing a tremelo should make sure and try them out first. The action of a self-contained unit like the Kahler and one with back mounted springs is going to be a lot different. The back mounted spring type will have a more drastic effect and the Kahler will be more subtle.

One not better than the other, just a personal preference.

19. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    i've used the kahler and the hipshot... the hipshot is much more expressive. The only thing IMO that is better about the kahler is less routing and a thicker tremelo arm than hipshot.

20. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I'd tend to agree with you about the Hipshot, but that's just our preference. If someone wants just a little bit of waver in their playing they may prefer the Kahler, which is what I was trying to convey in my previous post.

With this in mind, Joe Tursky, if you haven't gotten past the point of no return you might want to check out the differences in how the Hipshot and Kahler compare.
    I bought a Kahler at one time and liked the same things you are probably liking, in reference to the top-mounting and high quality of build.
    I believe the Kahler to be a top-notch product, but for my playing it just won't cut it and it ended up being a bunch of work to replace it after a couple years of frustration onstage.