Basses with VERY low action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I just looove low action, im addicted to it. So tell me about basses that can get strings low. I heard that the Flea Modulus is extremly low, I guess that the conical radius helps
  2. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I played a Blue MTD Kingston 4 yesterday at Mannys music, that had amazingly Low Action, sounded very resonant as well unplugged... it had a little bit of buzz on the Lower notes but I was seriously surprised at the setup it had. Very nice especially in that price range.
    - Tom
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My Dingwall is able to get about the lowest action Ive seen, but it requires the neck have almost no relief. Pete Skjold's basses also allow for very low action.
  4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    hummm...and the Sterling and Stingray can get very low too?
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Musicman basses can always be set very low, many Pedullas I've owned, Status', Brubakers, just about any quality, well made bass. Neck/FB radius will greatly influence the ability to achieve low action. My G&L with a #6 neck, or 7.5" radius, will not go as low as my MM with an 11" radius. The rule is- the larger the radius the flatter the profile. Generally, that means the lower the action.
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I should have stated, my bass has a compound radius that flattens out closer to the end of the board, and Im sure plays a large part in my action being able to go as low as it does. The skjold's do as well.
  7. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Yes, almost any quality bass can allow low action. I really can't flip my credit card between the top of the frets and the string on my Sadowsky.
  8. Pretty much any high-end bass is going to be able to give you very low action. One you get into the high-end, the action height of the bass is probably going to be dictated by your playing style more than by the limitations of the bass.
  9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    This conical radius sounds really good. A big radius (7.5 for example) is very comfortable in the first frets...and than a low radius (like 13) is pefect in the last ones. the best of two words!!:bassist:
  10. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    never had a problem getting my Gibsons (yes, Gibsons) set up with low action.
  11. Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    So am I, and I thought my bass had an extremely low action, until (surprisingly) I played a fender jazz re75 wich had an insane low action...and almost no buzzes...:eek:
  12. Any well made bass can have low action with the correct, professional set-up IMO, assuming there is nothing inherently wrong with the instrument.
  13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Hummm...lucky fellow you are. Does it have the U shape neck? if does...feel good?
  14. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Correct. Do they even make basses without neck adjustment options?
  15. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have a '73 Fender Jazz with very low action... it's one of the few with no neck issues. The frets are pretty worn which makes for a great smooth feel, almost like it's half fretless...
  16. is it possible to have a heavy touch on low action?
    i can get relitivily low action on my fender P but the A string keeps giving me problems:meh: high action has worked for me cuz I likw to dig in but hands and wrists hurt to soon.

low is great for slapping

i live in an area with frequent weather changes so my necks sway to and fro:(
  17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    This 73 Jazz really looks like Geddy Lee model :meh:
  18. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    You can set my Alembic with Ridiculously low action with no buzzing. But you really gotta know what you are doing when you adjust it. First the brass nut is adjustable up or down (great feauture, wish my Fenders had that), the neck has twin truss rods so you can adjust bow and twist, then the bridge adjustments.

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im envying a lot now, Classicjazz... :spit: :bawl:
  20. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    by the cousin has a Tagima bass (very good brazilian bass and guitar company) that has also a very low effortless like the way it shoud be