1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses with whom you have a love/hate relationship ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyRay, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I've played plenty of basses that I have nothing but praise for: one particular boutique bass built by a friend of mine (Pierre Giguere) is nothing short of amazing. All the bells and whistles, beautiful koa top, 28 frets, etc.

But after a while, like the Queen song goes, their beauty become kinda smooth: I've had a lot of near flawless basses, yet, when I sold all my stuff a few years back, I kept the most finnicky/ugliest bass known to man (Dan Armstrong reissue, who looks like a short, unloved fat girl) since I had an emotional attachement to it. It was my first real bass and the one I want my kids to learn on if they ever want to play.

Things I love:
    - I've palyed it so much it has become an extension of my body on good days.
    - Has a good solid rock tone.

Things I hate:
    - One trick pony: not a lot of sonic diversity.
    - A bitch to setup.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have a love/hate thing with my P basses. No matter what I do to adjust them, I just don't get the high end articulation from the G and D strings. I have tried everything. If it wasn't for the overall tone of a P, they would all be gone.

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Single pickup basses. I love them 99% of the time, but sometimes, I just wish they had another pickup. Fortunately, I can control my impulses, and whenever I wish I had another pickup, I just fiddle with the tone knob (or EQ).

4. Guild B-301

Easy to play, cool to look at (IMO)

but

Gibson-style tripod bridge and either a thud or a clank in the sound dept, with very little in between.

I do exercise it every now and again, but the sound is so idiosyncratic that I wouldn't want it as my only choice.

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Every bass in existence its the main reason we all have gas. No matter what it could be a 10K Fodera or a $200 Squier every single one of us will find a flaw sooner or later.. And it will eat at your soul to you have to get rid of it for something better.

Then a few months down the road you regret it..

I hate and love every bass known to man.

6. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. I've got a Roscoe, and I still think "Now...about that SX?"

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Ricks, hands down. I love the look and the sound when other people play them, but hate the sound and the feel when I play them.

8. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I had a G&L L1500 that was definitely love/hate. It was beautifully made and fit me like a glove but all I could ever get out of it was bark and clank which is not my style. It's gone now but not forgotten.

9. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    G&L l2000, I'm consistently adjusting for no reason to get the same tone(s) XD

10. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My frankenbass:

CIMG3604.

I love the look, love the feel, but that single pup just doesn't seem like enough sometimes, and the two saddle bridge drives me nuts...

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    All EB/MM basses. I love the quality and the necks, but hate how they sound so active an electronic, and to me, that sound gets lost in the mix. I also hated the single-pickup MMs for lack of fundamental low end. Also, the weight on StingRays 5-strings. . . killed me. But I kept buying them because they sound so nice when playing slap, by myself. But after a few gigs, reality set in. I had 9 of them, so I really tried to love them, but hate them at the end.

Also, 5-strings in general. Play them exclusively for years, wanting to make them my first choice, but everytime I played a 4-string, then I didn't want to play the 5 again, but then I always found reasons again to play 5s. . . eventually I settled for 4s only.

12. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Stingrays and Rickenbackers

13. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    My Spector Euro 4, I FRIGGING HATE its sound..., sooo OK it´s loud (granted), it cuts through most mixes (meh, sometimes i don´t want to cut through, i wanna blend in), it´s beautiful ( i don´t really care for looks), but it´s sound is so boomy, i cannot deal with the crappy Tonepump!!!, Ibanez has better pre-amps (ok, i know...put an Aggy pre on it), the other point that bothers me is it´s string tension....WHOA!!! i don´t wanna fight the damn bass, i wanna play it. Just like i do with my Jazzes and my Spector Legend 5 (it´s korean, who would have though i would like it more than an Euro), now...i know it´s gonna take some time (i´m in south america, here it´s a very expensive instrument) but if someone shows up with the money, I swear that sucker is GOING AWAY....

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i honestly gotta say, i don't have a single problem with my Lakland JO. seriously. i've had it for 5 or 6 years now, and i love it everytime i touch it.

now my '51 RI, on the other hand... some days i wish it had a smaller neck profile. other than that...
    (it may go soon to finance another bass. not because of the neck, but because i've got my P sound covered with my fretless, and i'd love a darkstarred bass.)

15. ConspiracyBass

ConspiracyBass Leo Got It Right.

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My G&L 1505.

Never play it. But when I do, I always think to myself that I should play it more.

Then it goes back in the case. Haha. I really do love the bass though.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    My first real gigging bass - Ibanez TR Expressionist. I played the crap out of it for years, even refretted it once with my grandpa. That's why I love it.

Since I've moved on to bigger and better basses I can't bring myself to play it. I try occasionally but it just doesn't feel good to play. It fealt great when it was all I could afford........that's why I hate it.

17. my stingray

18. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I had a purple MIA fender jazz plus a few years back.

I loved: the look, the sound in general, the feel, etc
    I hated: the weight and that annoying background hiss that nobody but me could hear

so eventually i just rid of her. we still talk on occasion, but our relationship is pretty much over. I haven't regretted it either... I tend to be more for a thicker neck and sound now.

19. I love/hate my warwick streamer stage one. I'm afraid if I sell it I'll want it back but sometimes it drives me nuts.

20. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    First, I love and hate my Wick Corvette. I love the way it plays, how easy it is to set up and sometimes the tone.

I've come to hate a lot of the tone though. Maybe it's just the high-end accentuation of the MEC's but it's got a whole lot of low that gets lost in the mix and a lot of tinny fret clack and buzz coming through the amp. I've tried to dial in some mids and low mids but it's never really a very usable tone in a live situation. If it weren't for my amp and it's 5-band fully sweepable EQ and amp modeling I'd have dumped the Warwick a long time ago.

Stingrays. They are the opposite of my 'Wick. I absolutely love the clarity, articulation, and cutting bite of their tone. They sound absolutely perfect to me in most cases. The only thing the tone slightly misses is a nice, clean bottom end but that's what EQ is for I guess.

I HATE their necks though. The Stingray 4-string neck is just slightly too wide and too shallow to be comfortable. If it was narrow and shallow that would be one thing. If it was wide and fat, that would be cool. But it took the two worst things for my hands and combined them. I've yet to try a Sterling because no-one in AK seems to have one but the Stingray left a bad taste in my mouth.