Basses with WIDE necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Th9nker, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

I am in the market for a new bass and have been doing some shopping around...

The thing is, I have VERY large hands and since I play the stand-up, I am used to a lot of space between the strings... So I am looking for a new 4-string bass with a nice wide neck... I prefer neck-through-body designs...

Any suggestions?
  2. Sandbergs, ESHs and Warwicks tend to have wide necks
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Alembic has a huge neck.
  4. I'd also suggest looking for a deep neck. But that might not be as ideal as a wide neck. I don't know; I'm insane.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    try greg curbow. 20mm string spacing at the bridge makes for some pretty wide necks. try a warwick with the wide neck option if you want wide and thick.
  6. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

I was actually looking at the Warwicks...

I didn't know that there was a wide neck option for them...

And yes, I like deep necks as well, once again due to my Double Bass experience... That is one thing that I really like about the Gibson Thunderbird, it's got a very deep neck, unfortunately, it is not very wide... But hell, I've always wanted one...
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla has a 19mm spacing option. If you liked fives, Fender's Roscoe Beck has a wide neck. Maybe the rumored RB4 will too.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A four with a wide neck?

Try a Zeta Crossover. It's as DBish as you'll find in a four string electric. The arc in the fingerboard results in pretty big string-to-string spacing.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eek...sorry...warwick doesn't come with the 20mm wide neck option on fours (which is only available on the bolt neck basses, btw...)....BUT, 4 string warwicks do have 19mm spacing.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The Yamaha Attitude basses have some pretty wide necks, IIRC.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had the same problem as the original poster - I came back to playing bass after a long lay-off and found that all the 4-strings on the market had what felt like very narrow necks and they felt like pencils in my hands.

As you say 5 and 6 strings have wide neck options, but I've never seen a 4 like this.
    I ended up buying a 6-string after much searching - a Yamaha TRB6P!!
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Most four-string necks these days are 1.5" thin at the nut (Fender Jazz width) or 1.625" (Fender P-bass, MusicMan Stingray). The widest four-stringers I'm aware of are the Fender Vintage Reissue P-basses, which are 1.75" at the nut. I believe some G&L four-stringers are (or were?) 1.75" at nut also. Hope that helps... good luck!