basses with wide string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I want to find a nice used four string with nice wide string spacing - I saw an Ibanez Soundgear that had really good looking wide string spacing - can anybody recomend an other basses that have very wide string spacing that I might find used somewhere?
  2. I don't know how common they are used or how wide the spacing is on the 4 string version but the 5 BTB by Ibanez has really wide spacing. Also has a really wide neck. Give the 4s a try. Some people love those basses.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I thought Soundgear 4s were known for having very narrow spacing. At least at the nut.
  4. Warwick have there 'Broad Neck' series of basses. Corvettes, streamers and thumbs have this option i think.
    u could probly pick up a second hand one
    good luck

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I own one, and have played a few, and they really aren't narrow. I can't recall to the letter, but I think they are really close either - or + than a Precis spacing, and definitely wider than a Jazz.

I seem to recall measurin them up, and they have fairly wide spacing...not humongous spacing, like on some Yammer's I've played, but a pretty comfortable wide...
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Are we talking about the same basses? Ibanez website lists the neck width at the nut as 38mm for the SR800, same as the Jazz.

The page for their fives lists one of the features as "thinner necks and thinner nuts than traditional basses".

7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Might be my bad, I thought only the SR* series were "Soundgear", but the BTBs might be too, and they have wide necks (47mm).
  8. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    "wide" is relative, but the mtd kingston string spacing is pretty wide to me.
    far far wider than my peavey cirrus and very nice for slapping i might add.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The spacing on Soundgear 4's isn't that narrow, about like a Jazz. The 5's and 6's are where it gets really narrow.

Wide spacing on a 4? Fender P bass with a C neck, MTD Kingston 4, G&L L2000, MM Stingray, Warwick Streamer Stage I are the widest spaced 4's that I have played.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Vintage (or reissue) Fender Precision: as Embellisher said, it has the C width (1.75" at nut). Most fours (like the Stingray) are B-width (1.625"), and then there's those skinny ol' A-width necks (1.5") like on Jazz basses.