1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

basses without fret dots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guardian1233, Sep 22, 2008.

1. guardian1233

guardian1233

Sep 17, 2008
    I found a couple basses I really like but they dont have fret dots. I think would be harder to play without these dots. Maby its just something to get used too.
    Does anyone find it harder to play without or have any tips about how to play without them?
    Also I saw some inlay sticker like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/Birds-Inlay-Stickers-WS-Position-Marks_W0QQitemZ150295730490QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33037QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
    Do these sticker work or do they get in the way or are they completely stupid and dumb?

2. Does it have fret markers on the side of the neck, where you would be able to see them?

On my MTD Z5 there are no fret markers on the actual fingerboard, and I prefer that look, but there are still markers up the side of the neck where I can see where I am.

I never had trouble when I switched over... I guess I've always watched the side of the neck vs. the front of it.

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    First off, its a good idea to be able to play without having to constantly look at the fretboard to know where you are. Try not to do it...a little at first, then more and more. Eventually you'll be able to feel where you are and not have to worry about it at all.

As for starting out on a bass without markings on the fretboard, if it has dot markers on the side of the neck you'll be ok. Might take a couple of minutes to get used to at first, but your brain will adjust pretty quickly.

4. trust me, I WISH my bass didn't have fret markers. I am so attached to them and I know it can't be a good thing.

5. Personally,not having inlays drives me completly insane. very serious pet peeve of mine for some reason.
    but thats just my opinion.

as long as you have side dots, you should be just fine.

most fretless basses will have ONLY side dots to show you where to play (and only on the "normally inlayed" frets)
    and of course, alot of classical guitars have no inlays period.

that being said, it shouldnt be difficult at all to play without them.

Edit:
    as far as those inlay sticker go, screw that...
    take your bass to a competant luthier and have him install dot inlays for you.

6. guardian1233

guardian1233

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok the bass I was thinking of is a mtd kingston artist. So it does have fret markers on the side. I just went and played my bass and i actually did fine with only using the side marks so i guess it'll be ok.

7. Just because the bass doesnt have fret markers on the fretboard, doesnt mean its not on the sides. Besides, who looks at the front of the fretboard when they play? My Warwick doesnt have markers on the fretboard. It makes no difference.

8. tdurden

tdurden

Jun 1, 2008
    I think fret markers or dots are a mental thing. I have basses with and without and never had any trouble.

9. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I was a little nervous about going to a bass without face dots/blocks but it turned out not to be an issue. As long as I have side dots I'm fine.

10. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I agree. I feel like I need the side dots, but not the fretboard markers. I don't ever look at them.

11. JustJeffJr.

JustJeffJr.

Aug 28, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Ive got a Takamine acoustic with no face dots, but it does have side dots, hasn't affected my playing a bit.

12. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I prefer no fret dots. I think it cheapens the look. Just a preference on my part.

13. Honestly, I haven't used fret dots since my first year playing the bass and that was 34 yrs ago.:rollno:

14. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    warwick bass in general have not fret dots, it only have side dots. I don't even need to look at that now, it become natural to play when you keep playing the same bass over and over again lol

15. I don't think I've ever looked at the dots on the fretboard (as opposed to the side dots), so when I changed to a bass with a clean fretboard it didn't make any difference. The thing is, I didn't realise that I wasn't actually looking at the face of the fretboard until this time.

16. yes, this. nice to have some sort of marker on th efront of the board if you're teaching, but blocks > dots.

17. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have just the side dots on my Tobias Growler and it's just fine. Just like having the dots on the frets for me.

Avoid putting any stickers on your bass.. IMO!

18. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i don't see how you could even play while looking at the fret dots...do you tilt the bass toward you?

19. i personally do all of my playing sitting down...
    in that position, you clearly see the face dots.
    in fact, i dont even use the side dots.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I like big honking inlays even better than dots!

Rimg1307.