Basses you almost bought

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mgood, Apr 12, 2003.

1. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I'm bored, so let's do this.

You know there are a few special basses that you just almost, but didn't quite bring home? I don't mean every bass you've picked up in the store and said "that's great, but it's way out of my price range." More like the ones that were out of your price range but made you think about how long the phone company and electric company would let you slide on your bills before cutting you off, and just how much money you really needed for groceries and such. Or maybe you were shopping for a bass and had the selection narrowed down to two or three and there were some very nice ones that just didn't quite make the final cut.

1989 shopping for a second bass for real, not just my usual browsing. I had it down to a Peavy Dynabass Unity, a Fender Precision Light, and a Carvin LB70. I had already been playing one Carvin for a couple of years, and eventually went with the LB70. I have never had any regrets. It was my main axe for thirteen years. But that Dynabass was SWEET. It just played itself. All I had to do was hold it, and music came out. The P-Light is the only Fender that's ever turned me on. It was a damned fine bass. BTW, ten years later, I played another one in a different store in a different city. It was the same color and identical in every way. For all I could tell, it might have been the same bass. I loved it too. They were the only two Fenders that tugged on my heartstrings.

In about '90 and '91, I had a major crush on the Kubicki X-Factor. For some time I plotted ways to come up with the funds for one.

Around '98 or so, I tried out a Pedulla MVP5. I just about fell in love with this one. It was the first five string I ever liked. This is the bass that convinced me I needed a fiver. I had never picked up a five-string that I could actually play. They just didn't work with my fingering and muting techniqe. I melded with the MVP5 instantly. Not only was I not having the problems I had experienced on other fives, but I was playing notes on the B-string without ever having given any thought to what notes would be where on that string. It just happenned.

Also, a year or two ago I almost bought a Carvin V440T on eBay. (The "T" in the model number meant that it had the Kahler Bass Tremolo System.) My first bass was a V440T and I've always regretted selling it. There were some unusual things about the one on eBay that made me question whether or not it had been modified. The seller didn't know much about it and could not convince me it was all original. I later, after the auction was over, discovered that it was a very early model that had a few different features than the one I had, and it was, in all probability, original. I was the high bidder, but did not meet the reserve. My doubts about it at the time kept me from bidding any higher.

So that's my list;
    Peavy Dynabass Unity Series
    Fender Precision Light
    Kubicki X-Factor
    Pedulla MVP5
    a second Carvin V440T

Honorable mention should go to the high end Steinberger of the late eighties or early nineties, the one that was completely synthetic with not one splinter of wood anywhere in it. And also to the Peavy Cirrus, which I might still grab one day if I find the one with the right combination of woods and number of strings.
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A few years ago, I put money down on a used Alembic 6-string that was a very good deal, but the wife nixed it, so I had to glumly get my money back.

I wanted that thing, too, though it was heavy as HELL!!!!
  3. Had a chance to scoop a Modulus 8-string at a store back home for $1,000 until some idiot on E-bay bought it for like $1400...And I knew the guy who owned it and he was gonna cut me a deal...

I was pissed....
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Probably the funniest two are the time Bass Alone had a 5 string fretless Hanewinckel and a 5 string fretless Alembic at the same time. I sorta like Hanewinckels and Alembics. I was actually driving from Toledo to Detroit, on the phone with John DiMaggio, with my credit card balanced on the steering wheel trying to decide which one I REALLY wanted. I liked the Alembic better but it was almost double the price of the Hanewinckel. On the other hand I had just sold an Alembic and the "extra" cash was becoming a distraction and a major contributor to GAS. I wound up buying neither. I think a TBer (PoT, was it you?) bought the Hanewinckel.

Just a couple weeks ago I was in Guitar Center and noticed that they have seriously slashed the prices on their Music Man basses. I came oh so close to walking out with a nice black Ray for $860 or less. I'm not certain it's safe for me to go back in there anytime soon.

The 4th one is the time I went to a local pawn shop that had a 1989 Thumb on eBay. I had the guy willing to take $900 cash. I pulled up to the ATM a couple blocks away and convinced myself that as much as I liked the bass, I really didn't need it. (Of course, needing it is never the point.)

5. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I almost bought a Peavey B-quad at i store in cenytar Stockholm. It was a great and beutiful bass. A few weeks later I almost got a Carvin. I went to the Carvin store in Hollywood, but I ended up buying a Stingray5 across the street at Guitar center 8D
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Nope, mine is a four string fretted.

For me... I can think i only one that i almost bought. I was the leading bidder on a early 90's mia jazz with a sadowsky preamp, and aftermarket pups (i forget if they were bartolinis or what) for $350, then the seller canceled the auction in the last minute. ("merchandise was lost or damaged" :rolleyes: )

I remember a time where there were two nice warmoth jazzes on ebay that went for $300 a peice, i kick myself in the ass for not getting them, but i'm not sure if i would have been able to get the hanewinckel if i got an other bass just before it.
  7. you guys are going to get a kick out of this, and i've been kicking myself for it too since then. it was the summer of 2000 & i'd just gotten my first job and i'd wanted a bass for so long, and i had saved up about 400 for a bass. i went down to the guitar shop to see what they had after checking all the pawn shops. before i went i knew i wanted a jazz because i loved the sound. when i was there they had a MIM squier for 300 marked down from like 500 or so. and the salesman, kept trying to tell me the had a rickenbacker for 250! i walked out with the jazz and found out a few days later about the ric, i went back to see if i could trade it because they used to be cool like that at that shop before it changed owners, and it was gone.
    i love my jazz, but a ric for 250! and thats canadian money too
  8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I can think of a few. The first one I remember is a Spector fretless that I saw advertised in the local paper in about 1984 for $400. I didn't know anything about Spector at the time, and only later did I figure out what I'd missed out on.

The second was a quilted maple Alembic Distillate selling for $500 at Atlanta Discount Music in about '87. By the time I could get the money together a couple days later, it was gone.

I'm sure there have been more...

9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two come to mind. One was a 6-string, single-cut Elrick with a single humbucker pickup in the sweet-spot. That was one of the most easily playable basses I've ever picked up. In fact, that was the bass that convinced me to go to 6 strings!:D

The other was an amazing Roscoe that Gard had just gotten in when I was there. I think it was a spalted maple top that looked like someone had drawn rings with a black pen on it.

There are many other basses I've loved, but those 2 stick out as 2 I let get away.

Edit: I've always been a big fan of MTDs and Gard also had a 635 in stock that was one of those that also sticks out.:D
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had all the specs, everything I needed, had the deposit check written and the finances lined up for an FBB 4 string. Even had the envelope made out and everything. Unfortunately, I started thinking. With college coming up, it just made me think one more time (having past twice a LONG time ago).

So, no FBB 4. Other than that, the only other basses I've really come close to buying was a Cort Curbow, which was the front runner untill I made it up to BC, and ended up with an MTD Kingston. (Since gone).
  11. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I put a downpayment on a '64 Jazz bass (the year I was born), and I walked away from it. It wasn't that great of a bass, and beat all to crap too. (That's what I keep telling myself! ):bawl:
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    ouch...I wish I had that Spector right now as well. :)
    I came this--->||<-- close to buying a vintage 74' Epiphoen rivoli..hollow body, dual humbuckers, bridge mute, and sweet classic thumpy tone. I still kinda wish i got it, but I would not have been able to get the essex I just bought as well as some other stuff if I did.
  13. Lesse...

Ones I almost bought:
    -G&L SB1
    -Music Man Stingray 5
    -Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo :bawl:
    -Warwick Streamer Standard 4 string
    -Carvin early '90's LB20

Basses I've dreamed of buying:
    -G&L L-2500
    -Modulus Flea
    -Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo
    -Fender Roscoe Beck 5-string
    -Warwick Streamer FNA
    -Fender Steve Harris Sig. P-Bass
    -Zon anything
    -Fender Jaco Sig. Relic'd or un-Relic'd
    -Carvin LB20
    -Carvin LB76 with double humbuckers, P-series upgrades (except the rounded edges :spit:) gold hardware, classic white finish, maple fretboard with abalone block inlays. That would be cool.
    -Fender Custom Shop J-bass over at Bass Palace (the silver one with matching headstock....drool drool drool.)
    -a Wal Mach 1 :bawl:

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch but oh well.
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've had bids down on a lot of basses on ebay over the years. A quick look at my records shows

- Ken Smith 20th Anniversary 5 string (charcoal quilt)
    - Acacia 6-string
    - Stambaugh 6-string fretless
    - a Wal 4-string
    - Modulus SS 6 string fretless
    - Pedulla Pentabuzz
    - Wal fretless
    - MTD Kingston 5
    - Fodera AJ contrabass
    - Ken Smith Black Tiger 6
    - Klein K-bass

I seem to remember an Alembic Stanley Clarke bass too, but don't have the email from that one.

I think most of these were pretty serious bids - a couple were "$100" bids for no-reserve auctions though.
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I spent about 20 hours in a store with a green quilt Sweetspot 6 Modulus in the early 90's over the course of a month. filled out the credit app and all. I just couldn't justify the cost.

Last year I sent money in on a beautiful G&L L-2000 fretless from 81. Mahogany/ebony, old headstock :cool: I ended up with a broke leg and in bed forever.... never paid the rest, never got my deposit back (I shoulda got 1/2).

I'm getting my dream bass built by Chris Benavente... so I'm feeling better :cool:
  16. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I love to tell the story of how I passed on a then new '79 P bass for a Peavey T-40. What an idiot!

Then a couple of years later I found a beautiful natural finish Jazz w/rosewood neck, EMG's, Badass bridge and block inlays. It was a late '70's model. Talk about a sweet bass! I wanted it bad but didn't have quite enough money. Well, the guitar player, who was there with me even offered to make up the difference and let me pay him back later. But NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Passed on that one too and have always regretted it.

I ended up with the G&L 2000 I still have so it turned out OK.

17. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i almost got a jack cassidy, had been playing it every chance i got for months. i finally got the money, and i went to the store (by now when the guy that worked there saw me coming, he hooked up the bass for me to play before i even had to ask) it had sold on e-bay the day before. i was so mad. it was only $300 or so too, marked down from like 1200 or something like that. :bawl:
  18. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    You can get the double HB-series pickups even though that option is not listed in the catalog or on the website. Just have to ask for it over the phone. I have one. :)
    Actually all my Carvins have had double humbuckers. My LB70 has two H13B stacked humbuckers (which look like single-coils). My new BB75P has the HB5W (MM-style humbucker) at the bridge position and the H50N stacked 'bucker at the neck position (looks like a single coil). And my BB70WP has two HB4 (MM-style) p'ups, which I think is what you are wanting (two HB6's for a six-string). My old '87 V440T (dearly departed) had H11B stacked humbuckers.

If you order an LB76P, the P-series upgrade includes the HB2 package, which includes rounded body sides. Period. No way around that. But, if you make it a BB76P, BB basses are not available with rounded body sides. Period. Go figure. :rolleyes:

They will NOT put block inlays in a maple fretboard. Someone on the Carvin board was begging for them recently and got no results. They will do abalone dots. So I assume they would do mother of pearl dots. Of course black dots (yuck :spit: ) are standard on the maple boards. And you can get them with no inlays. All that goes both for regular maple and for birds eye maple.

If you have any questions about what you can and can't get, come over to and go to the discussion board. And/or get on the phone and call them and ASK FOR SEAN. You might get "yes" from one sales rep and "no" from another on the same question. Sean is the man who can tell you straight. Tell him I sent you.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Twenty years ago there was a Rickenbacker hanging on the wall at this small music store near me. Someone had sanded the finish totally off the Bass, but other than that it seemed ok. I could have bought it for $175, but being 16(at the time) I didnt have that much money.:bawl:
  20. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Nearly bourght one at the Music Live show last year was so0o infraweled with its tone and feels and looks but setteled for nothing in the end..afterall did spend a fortune on my GB the year before..:rolleyes:.....