Basses you can’t forget, but never owned.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CGramazio, Aug 28, 2020.

1. I can’t forget these two, because I did once own them.
    ‘79 Aria SB 1000 which weighed 11 lbs.
    ‘78 Gibson RD Artist that weighed 14 lbs

Iristone and stevieg like this.
  2. At the moment all I can think of is a Kubiciki Key Factor.

stevieg

3. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    There was a beautiful second hand Lakland USA 4-94 at my local music store back in 2006. The neck was to die for. It was available for $1750 Canadian. I wanted to buy it, but the sales guy told me not to—said the previous owner had messed with the electronics. I took his advice (my bad!). Three years later, I saw him playing it in a club. Apparently the store owner let him buy it when it hadn’t sold after several months....That thing had the best, best neck I have ever played.

CGramazio likes this.
  4. There are 2 basses that come to mind.
    A Modulus Jazz bass that my son owned for a little while. It played and sounded great but my son sold it without letting me know.
    A 66 Precision that was at a vintage music store in Carmel, California. Being in Carmel the prices were guaranteed to be high but the bass sounded fantastic through a vintage Bassman amp. I didn't have a spare $6,500 and that was back in 2015.

Rick B.

CGramazio likes this.
  5. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I've never owned a late-70s Villette-Citron but I'm still somewhat smitten with them... :)
    pfrsrjmjhugjaqbqs9e7.jpg

Iristone, CGramazio and Shlabotnik like this.
  6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    A Gretsch 6070 I passed on in high school twice(!), the first time for $150 and the second for $75(!). So I compensated this millenium by buying three 6070s and two 6072s.

CGramazio and mikewalker like this.
  7. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Curbow Petite 6 string bass.

eulogy77, CGramazio and mikewalker like this.
  8. Anything over $1,500

mikewalker and donahue like this.
  9. That is one beautiful bass - congrats!

10. A few years ago when Warwick's Nashville shop was open to the public I went in to have some tweeking done on one of mine. While there I started taking new Warwicks off the wall and one-at-a-time I spent 5 to 10 minutes playing each one. When my bass was finished about an hour later I asked and they said sure. I stayed about two more hours and ended up playing probably every model the Warwick had on display. Maybe 15-20. Coolest one was a Dolphin NT but if I had bought one it would have been a 4 string thumb. It sounded like the holy grail.

CGramazio likes this.
  11. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    For me it was a Rickenbacker 4003. I played it and instantly fell in love with it in 09. It was listed for $800 but I didn't have enough at the time and I'd just bought my Precision Bass about 2 months prior.

Looking at the current prices and availability of Rics I feel like a moron.

CGramazio likes this.
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have never been able to forget just how magnificent the figured woods Ritter uses after trying a few of them at Rudy's Music 48th St.

CGramazio likes this.
  13. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    played in a three-piece band 18 years ago and we used to rehearse at our drummer's house. His dad happened to be a bass player, and he was kind enough to let me use his gear... That late 1980s G&L L-2000 is something I'd never forget, it is on my GAS list.

CGramazio, donahue and son_of_mogh like this.
  14. John Batson

John Batson

May 10, 2018
    I own two Alembics but the bass I'm still kicking myself for not mortgaging the house for is a Status 4 string fretless. Not a graphite one. Tele type of semi hollow body with one pickup and a peizo bridge that was blendable. One of the most impressive basses I've ever played.

CGramazio likes this.
  15. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    This probably one of the coolest threads ever on TB. I say that because everyone will always say the bass they own is the best, but this thread is so much more objective, because we’re talking up basses that we do NOT own.

I just think it’s really cool.

CGramazio likes this.
  16. John Batson

John Batson

May 10, 2018

17. John Batson

John Batson

May 10, 2018
    I had a Travis Bean that I had bought in a little pawnshop in Kansas. Money got a little tight and I sold it to a friend of mine. He unfortunately committed suicide and for some reason it disappeared. Would have loved to have bought it back. It was Serial number 136.

18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Yep. What a loss on both counts.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021