Basses you can’t forget, but never owned.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CGramazio, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Missed this Sadowsky twice. Once when it was new, and once when it resold. It haunts me still.

upload_2020-8-28_15-38-33.png

I consider it a masterpiece. Well chosen piece of ash nicely bookmatched with an offset that echos the body shape, great choice of burst finish with just the right amount of edge shading to make the most of the spectacular grain pattern.

2. I got the chance to noodle with a second-hand Pedulla Buzz at a local music store a few years ago. I really liked it and was impressed with the smoothness of the polyester coating on the fingerboard.

I immediately put Pedulla on my wishlist. I ‘almost’ got a HexaBuzz a few years ago. I had researched and located a second hand HexaBuzz in Emerald Green at Kurosawa in Japan. I visited that weblink several times per day to look at it. As a coincidence, my wife and I were planning a Japan vacation in February 2018. I wanted to try it before buying. The bass sold in January, just 2-3 weeks before our scheduled vacation. I kept going back to that site, hoping the buyer would return it but that never happened.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    1. A 5-string NS Bolin that I wish I'd had the sense to buy at a local bass get-together. It just felt so natural and sounded awesome. It's the only 5-er I've picked up and knew I could play.

2. The P-bass owned by Steve Miller and supposedly used on many of his hits. It was on consignment at Guitar Showcase (along with lots of other Steve Miller gear). lt was a rather heavy mofo, but even unplugged had an amazing resonance and feel, very special. Plugged in it had a tone that didn't sound that great on its own, but I knew would cut through in a band situation like no other. I got the impression that whoever originally bought it went into a warehouse and went "nope...nope...nope...yeah, this one!" It was a pleasure to come across such an instrument, and highlighted aspects that absolutely don't agree with me (weight, baseball bat neck, etc.).

CGramazio likes this.
  4. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Summer of 1999 I bought a brand new SWR SM500 and Goliath Junior III from a now-defunct store in Memphis. While I was there I played the most beautiful deep maroon/burgundy Pedulla Pentabuzz 5. Hands down, to this day, it was the best sounding and playing fretless (or otherwise) I've ever laid hands on.

Coming in a very close 2nd place were a number of Roscoe fretless basses with diamondwood fingerboards that I played on a number of occasions years later at a local chain. Sadly, that chain no longer even carries electric guitars or basses.

CGramazio likes this.
  5. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    For me it was not that long ago, last year
    As many of us do I was at Guitar Center and came across a Fender Jazz MIM
    It just sounded and played so nice
    My wife was at the store next door and I ran over to get her and the MAC card and wouldn't you know it...
    Someone else was playing it and decided to buy it
    That is the one that got away and that I will remember for a long time

Thanks

rockdoc11 and CGramazio like this.
  6. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Las Vegas
    Nash PB-57 in Shell Pink tried at CME in 2018
    70s Gibson Grabber tried at a GC in NJ in 2015/16

2014 Am. Special Honeyburst Nitro P-Bass tried at a GC in 2015 - I now own one as my only electric and the feel and tone is just about everything I remember from the one I tried, probably a little less broken in.

lowdownthump and CGramazio like this.
  7. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I gigged and recorded on an Ampeg baby bass ca. 1988 that was borrowed from a guy who taught at my high school. I think it still had the stock bridge and janky pup in it, but it was a lot of fun. I much prefer feeling the full body of an upright vibrating against me, and there are much better EUBs out there now, but I'm a little sentimental about that one. Definitely get a retro salsa vibe with them that you don't get on a modern EUB. No way are they worth to me what they're fetching on the market today though, so ain't gonna happen.

coy garcia and CGramazio like this.
  8. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    TBC Basses. i played one and loved it. came back to GC the next day and it was gone. they seem to be very hard to find now.

CGramazio likes this.
  9. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    donahue and CGramazio like this.
  10. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    A couple years ago there was a Squier Affinity P at Guitar Center. Butterscotch Blonde with a black PG and maple fretboard. It weighed about 7.5 lbs, had super low action, and played as smooth as a baby's butt. It was used and cost something like $113.

Mili, ruju, erratick and 1 other person like this.
  11. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    An Olympic white '66 J with matching headstock and incredible patina. Everything about it was great, apart from the price which was more than I could justify at the time. It was at a tiny music store called "Dear Prudence" somewhere between Ebisu and Meguro in Tokyo back in the '90s.

12. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    pi_444_2962_p1120047.jpg

teh-slb, Tari, Erich Bruning and 2 others like this.
  13. booch29

booch29

Mar 27, 2013
    israel
    Pre Gibson Tobias classic 4 string! Can’t get it out of my mind

CGramazio likes this.
  14. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    A 73 P bass with a maple fretboard I played in St Louis. The tone produced from that bass was magical.

Santinotafarell and CGramazio like this.
  15. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I love all these stories. What a fantastic assortment of instrument we all can't forget. I especially love the references to all the old music shops we used to pop into. Feels like a bygone era. I need this kind of nostalgia right now. Thanks, everyone!!

teh-slb likes this.
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Never owned one of these, but hard to forget about it. I've played several and came this close to buying a nice one a few years back, but I didn't bother putting a down-payment on it, and it was gone the next day.
    bigrickenbacker480-DSCN9833-jpg-cf.jpg

mikewalker, Plectrum72 and CGramazio like this.
  17. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    An early 1980s LPB Precision Special is what I'm playing in my avatar pic (taken in the mid 1990s).

Wish I still had that bass, but even more wish I still had that strong back!

dalkowski and CGramazio like this.
  18. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm certainly partial to that one.

jd56hawk likes this.
  19. You know how this story ends looking at my avatar but flash back 45 years ago to a 10 or 11 year old staring at a Jet Glow Univox bass hanging at a local music store with dreams of owning that bass.

Mili, mikewalker and CGramazio like this.
  20. wheelsup247

wheelsup247 Wherever You Go, There You Are. Wear it low. Gold Supporting Member

I suppose it was in the late 1970s or early 1980s there was a place in Noblesville, Indiana named Vic Zinn Music. They had a wall of Alembic Basses. Those Alembics played and sounded so incredible. The price point was way beyond what I could afford, but each one was like a work of art. I have very fond memories of that store, and those basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021