Basses you can’t forget, but never owned.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CGramazio, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    in the 90's a friend put together a new band and invited us to check them out. The bass player blew my mind and had a Pre Gibson Tobias 5......It was slow in the club that night so they let me and my then singer come up and do a couple of tunes. What a bass.....

There are more from music stores and the like when money was tighter, but that one was special.

booch29 and CGramazio like this.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Three that I played that blew my mind but I simply couldn't afford at the time:

Ken Smith Burner (original MIJ)
    Carl Thompson fretless (for $650!!!! that one really hurt)
    Dingwall AB2-5

red_bassist, erratick and CGramazio like this.
  3. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    The 1st gen Yamaha John Pattituci (TRB6?). I have never played six strings (don't have the need), but once happened at a music store where a guy had brought his to test amps, saw my poor college student's eyes wide as plates looking at him play, and he let me play it for a while. MAN! The neck was wide and black as a six lane highway, but at the same time super comfy, and the electronics allowed it to sound like ANYTHING. I have never had use for a six string, and it is way beyond my budget (then and now), but sometimes... sometimes...

4. Pretty much bass wise I have what I need and fairly content with it, and certainly not sentimental about the ones I had or played before.

Amp wise I was an idiot to sell my Hiwatt I had in 1974.

Qlanq, CGramazio and erratick like this.
  5. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    Growing up the Florida musician scene I was a part of would lend each other bits for gigs. You know- like take my cab so you can have a stereo rig for the big gig, or borrow a bass as backup or for recording. Sometimes it was a precursor to a deal, sometimes it was just so you didn't have to rent something.

One time a buddy lent me a red Ricky 4001 for a gig. It was a great playing bass. I sounded great, the band, audience loved it. Played it, gave it back. One time thing. It was his pay back for a gig where I'd lent him back the bass in my avatar for a backup. Later he offered the Ricky to me (we were both broke college musicians) for $1200 because I was so effusive about it, and he needed the money. I should have bought it, but it might as well have been $12,000 at the time so I let it go.

The other was for a recording gig- the keyboard player brought his NS-2 Ned Steinberger signed Spector. It was kind of a hideous 90s green. But damn that sweet neck through played lights out. Didn't care for the electronics as much for recording or gigs. It sounded good, but not great direct in. Played like nothing else though. Had to outboard gear and eq to get "the sound". However, the Ricky that got away was the only one even in the same universe in terms of playing. I still think about it. I could do figures on that, I still can't do.

I've played all kinds of stuff since- Alembics (sweet), Ken Smith (yowza), Fodera (6 strings sweetness), Alleva Coppollo, Steinbergers, other Rickys, other Spectors, Music Mans, Fenders, Squiers, etc. etc. But none of those hit me with the same wistful feeling.

The only regret- haven't played an Ian Waller Wal.

6. Engineer_Josh

Engineer_Josh

Apr 26, 2016
    Norfolk County Music had a brand new, white Fender Jazz Bass Special when I was just learning to play. It was white with a black neck. I wanted one more than I wanted air or sex. Duff MacKagan made a bass just like it famous a year or so later when G’n’R broke big.

mikewalker and CGramazio like this.
  7. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    An Elrick NJ5 with Demeter pre amp and Aero picks ups that BassNW had, still remember that one, I know it did pass around here at one point, also I always remember the first Sadowsky I played which was a modern 5 with the Emgs.

CGramazio likes this.
  8. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Kiesel is making these again, kind of. They've brought it back as a headless, but the body looks like it's the same or very close to it. Though this is the only bass I've ever refused to buy based on looks alone. Normally I don't care what my basses look like, but that upper horn finally crosses the line....

L

CGramazio and Qlanq like this.
  9. Cherry Burst P Bass.jpg
    It was the Summer of 1981. Place, GC Hollywood. Sixteen-year old walks out of store, over a $50.00 disagreement on price. Item, Cherry Burst P-Bass, apparently made only one year (1981). Passed on $500.00 price tag (now they never trade hands for under $2000.00, usually much higher). And, I even loved the color.

**Honorable Mention**

Played Francis Buchholz's Carvin LB40 prototype, at the old Escondido Shop, in 1981.

Was at Carvin, ordering my LB50 KOA, as GC Hollywood ticked me off, after screwing with me on the price of a Cherry Burst P-Bass (like the one in the pic).

mikecd1, teh-slb, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Dan Armstrong
    The clear acrylic model.

Pauly 4001, CGramazio and Dabndug like this.
  11. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Squier CV P bass in fiesta red. Loved everyone I played. Never bought one.

Mili, Bajo Clarkko, erratick and 2 others like this.
  12. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Late 1970s Ovation Magnum hanging new on the wall at Fountain Valley Music in Fountain Valley, CA around 1978. I thought it was the coolest looking thing I’d ever seen. Haven’t ever picked one up.

mikewalker, CGramazio and Dabndug like this.
  13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Adam Clayton Jazz Purple Sparkle with that beautiful black and white houndstooth case.

I don’t know why I didn’t order one when they were released.

HearNoStevil and CGramazio like this.
  14. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I remember a green 6 st hexabuzz for sale in town, at the old njams, was quite cheap I almost grabbed it.

TolerancEJ and CGramazio like this.
  15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    A Status Series II sat for sale at Guitar Resurrection in Austin for several years, maybe 1991-1992. It was $2500, which at the time was fantasy money for me as a broke college student subsisting on beer and ramen.

UKGm3o9WUYn92Ql0kkF_t_QEdwKew2GvBr1gqAWYgvcDXNWIDNvARFymrcLTS86JUKRuN61BinEkJjaKo1OXMs8CNtZ7WmBV.jpg

In a moment of weakness I may still buy one just because I can, but even I admit now that they are too pointy.

Squittolo, TolerancEJ and CGramazio like this.
  16. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Played a Ric at GC.

erratick and CGramazio like this.
  17. You should have went for it (and then sold it to me.) Haha!

I remember NJAMS. Hmm... Maybe there is a slight possibility that green HexaBuzz might still be in BC. Who knows? I check out Craigslist often but stuff that interests me is rarely advertised.

CGramazio likes this.
  18. Robin Freedom bass in traditional butterscotch.

Fender Roscoe Beck in LPB.(4 string)

Original series Ken Smith (only 5 string I've longed for), I don't know the model, but will never forget how it felt and played. Even the neck volute was a thing of beauty.

First generation Musicman Sabre in transparent green. Absolutely gorgeous.

Kerem Koseoglu, The Owl and CGramazio like this.
  19. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    My brothers friend had an Antigua finish P. Never played it, didn't play bass yet. Still love the color.
    Wal Mark 1. What a bass. That flat fretboard, can still feel it.
    The Rick 4001, mid 70's. Hanging on the wall at Andys Guitars in Denmark Street. London. I played it so many time, what a joy. It was a Snow Glow, I really wanted a Jet Glow. It was nearly the perfect bass. Well.... It was the perfect bass.
    Well, really not the perfect bass. I have to give that title to my CIJ Geddy Sig.
    OK, I am massive Rush fan but the thought of owning a Geddy Sig bass never entered my mind.
    Until I saw the Sunburst Finish at a really good deal.
    "One bass to rule them all and in the darkness bind them".

erratick, mikewalker and CGramazio like this.
  20. Never owned, but was blown away by Every Steinberger L2/XL2, and Every Pedulla MVP/Buzz 5string I ever played.

Pauly 4001, erratick and CGramazio like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021