Basses you can’t forget, but never owned.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CGramazio, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead

That Dingwall is always going to please my eyes being green and yellow, my two fave colors

BurningSkies and CGramazio like this.
  2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Road Worn 60s P before the pricing on them got nuts

CGramazio likes this.
  3. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Rickenbacker 4005 Fireglo

mikewalker, son_of_mogh and CGramazio like this.
  4. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead
    Couple years ago I went to guitar center with one of my buddies, and this 6 string singlecut Ibanez caught my attention, I played it and was blown away. Being young and broke I did not buy it but man that thing was Smoove and played like butter

CGramazio likes this.
  5. The legendary basses owned by huge name bass idols who were gracious enough to let me play them over the years.

There's a long list, but the ones that affected me the most were Chris Squire's basses, just because of my obsession with some of his earlier playing/songs (Well, the entire band of Yes, really).

I got to play one of Geddy's basses back when I was like 17, briefly, at an Ontario music festival thing that he was doing a sort of bass clinic thing... played a Steinberger that was his, which led me to save up and get my own not long after.

There are other situations like those, although much of it is a big blur now to me. It's the sort of thing that would come back if I put lots of thought into it and had some late night memory revelations LoL.

I know I always wanted a Pedulla Buzz of my own.... likely will never happen now (and with my Carvin fretless it might be a little moot... they are similar based on the pedula I DID get to play (but wasn't mine) for a while long ago).

pbass888 and CGramazio like this.
  6. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

Well, being the Fender affecunado that I am, believe it or not, it was a new Stingray with a roasted neck that a friend bought about 8 years ago. That thing had [email protected] !

teh-slb, pbass888 and CGramazio like this.
  7. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    This one below, Sting’s fretless .. when I was 16 in 1982 , I worked and got a fretted version that was promptly stolen at a gig 4 months later.

My teacher at the time was a great bassist and was endorsed by Ibanez. He had the fretted and fretless version that I played during lessons. . I have never owned an Ibanez since....

94FBFEC9-7265-4ADE-AF52-721DD058F696.jpeg

8. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm a big Sting fan. Horrible on the bass being stolen. That's a couple dream basses stolen is this thread. Who does that kind of thing? We musicians struggle so much for our gear and bond with it to such a great extent it's like losing a limb.

pbass888 likes this.
  9. i played a purple pedulla rapture 1 pickup version at guitar center years ago.

i knew very little about basses at the time, i was a decent enough player for a kid. all i knew is that i loved how that bass sounded.

have tried grabbing one ever since, but they never pop up when im in "spend" mode.

CGramazio likes this.
  10. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Back in the 80s, my bass was in the shop and they gave me a Gibson Victory bass as a loner. I still can't forget how awful that thing was, and it's been decades.

11. Bogart Blackstone fretless 5

CGramazio likes this.
  12. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I’ve never seen it in person, but I have been chasing this bass for 15 years ... FBB fretless 8

upload_2020-8-28_20-8-49.jpeg

red_bassist, cdef and CGramazio like this.
  13. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Alembic #73-39. (the 39th instrument produced at the 60 Brady St. shop) Missed it by a phone call... never got over it. :(

#73-39.jpeg

Some of her DNA went into my eventual Custom build, but that old dragon was a badass to the core. The good news is; someone else did buy it and have it restored by Alembic. :)

14. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    This one was available a few months back, but money was just a little too tight to make it happen and the TB'er sold it locally. An Adam Clayton refinished by Marty Bell. Price seemed reasonable too:
    E639B7B6-59C3-410C-9B8F-6D53E656E3D0.jpeg 8A5B6D1F-6E4F-4E24-8B16-A8728EE3DF5B.jpeg

15. CGramazio

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    :roflmao:

teh-slb and wmhill like this.
  16. CGramazio

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    That's a helluva lot of bass!

17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I played a Spector Euro bass when I was a teen in the early 90s. It fit like a glove and that reverse P-J sounded great to my ears. It was out of my price range, and I've never owned a Spector, but it's always stayed with me what a nice bass it was and how good it played and sounded.

erratick, son_of_mogh and CGramazio like this.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    It was in my hands.. and I put it back. $800.00
    Maybe 15 years ago. 75942A0F-D7C5-467C-B850-57EE37D93F03.jpeg

mindwell, Squittolo, PaulS and 5 others like this.
  19. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Back in the early-mid 90s when I was just starting out, I played a boire Dolphin I that was in a used gear shop. Price: $1200. I couldn’t believe anyone would spend that much on a bass...:banghead:

erratick, packhowitzer and CGramazio like this.
  20. I got to try out a used Pedulla right handed fretted bass at the Hollywood Guitar Center many many moons ago. Even though it was a righty, I could tell that it played fantastically and I have always yearned for a lefty Pedulla fretless with no lines. Sadly that will never happen now that Mike has retired.

I was in Vegas for a Rush concert and there was a Vegas CL ad for a Ken Smith lefty 4 string fretted for an unreal price. People on leftybassist.com were calling BS on that one. I contacted the guy and we met at a fish-n-chips restaurant and I got to handle the bass for a bit and took a bunch of pictures and posted on leftybassist that the deal was for real. I don't recall whatever happened with the bass sale, but I just remember that it felt very good and if it were a fretless 5 or 6 string I would have bought it right there. I still think of that bass today.

mikewalker, CGramazio and son_of_mogh like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021