Basses you can’t forget, but never owned.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CGramazio, Aug 28, 2020.

1. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I have never owned a Ric. I always wanted one, but it never happened. All my fave rock bassists played them and sounded great doing it. Who wouldn’t want one?

Waaay back in the day, I stumbled across a great one for sale. Had it all. Played great, sounded fantastic. I had no money on me at the moment to put down a deposit. By the time I got back later that day, it was sold.

None that I ran across since then had that magic. So I never bought one. That is, until last year. In the same neighborhood, one came up for sale. I went to check it out..... it had to be the same instrument. A bit worse for wear, but it played and sounded awesome. The problem was that, after all those years, I found I no longer really wanted it!

Funny how that goes.

2. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    I was crazy for a Travis Bean when they came out. Played a few in some music stores in some large cities. But was raising a family at the time and cash was hard to part with back in '75 and '76.
    59bfad7e7a518bd3bc2b026effefe290.jpg

pachoate, erratick, teh-slb and 3 others like this.
  3. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    ... that I have played but not owned?

- Pedulla MVP
    - Pedulla Pentabuzz
    - Alembic Epic 5 fretted
    - Music Man (U.S.A.) SUB
    - Steinberger XL2 (I think that was the original)

Fond memories of trying them out....

CGramazio and son_of_mogh like this.
  4. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Had a bass Lesson in the early eighties with Andy West of the Dregs, got to play his Steinberger XL-2. Felt weird, but OMG, THAT SOUND!

Back in “the day“ (late 60s or early 70s), I was offered a Dan Armstrong clear acrylic guitar and the matching Bass for $200 for both of them. Didn’t have the money. Never got to play them, either, but wish I had that set today.

5. I was offered one of these in canary yellow also about 15 years ago and also for $800. I passed and it doesn't haunt me.
    I've never been anywhere near one of these though and it does haunt me:
    4005-1body.jpg

These haunt me too but it could be because they are demonic or at least they're called Devil Basses:
    asb1pair400.jpg

This particular bass used to haunt me somewhat:
    f-jtaF6e4TfmTKGCs_ES93x20To0mRk0yTXoBJmEZyPT-WlT89pzyoQSyWBR6G2q2hYaOasjvCUuY3ezpGIbVjgok5JfI3A.jpg

mikewalker, CGramazio, 9c1ny and 2 others like this.
  6. I’ve been fortunate enough to get multiples of guitars I use for onstage, and have been able to buy most of the studio guitars I really wanted.
    But I’ve always wondered why I didn’t buy that early 70’s Les Paul Triumph Bass which I played a few times. I kept going to the same shop & trying it over & over. There was a lot I liked about it - but, some things I didn’t care for. I just couldn’t talk myself into it.
    Sometimes I regret it, & sometimes I don’t. Similar to this one... 0D26C21D-A654-46AF-886F-9791197F4289.jpeg

teh-slb, Tari, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Wal MK3 5er, with a custom ordered skinny neck profile.

erratick and CGramazio like this.
  8. JC2238

JC2238

Dec 18, 2013
    The one bass I played that I've never forgotten was an original, brand new pedulla Buzz bass. I'm almost glad I've never played another as I have such a fond memory of having played that one once, I'll stick with that lone experience with it.

CGramazio and son_of_mogh like this.
  9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    And before the Travis Bean GAS. I was crazy for a Ampeg Baby Bass (the Bb4). There was one owned by a local Music Store and one of the co-owners played it in a Jazz band. He kept it in the store. I'd go in and play every chance I got back in the late '60s. Sweet.
    s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg

10. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    Played one of these around 1989 in a storage shed where a friend of mine's band was practicing in Mobile, Alabama. Hottest shed I've ever been in. My friend had a black Rick 4001 that I was enamored with, and we all thought the Westone Rail was a cheap joke that no one took seriously and laughed at it at the time.

I've never forgot it since, and would love to have one. Simply for the way the pickup can slide to any position you want, and the way I use my particular distortion setup, tiny movements of the pickup change the envelope "mwah" of the attack. A Westone Rail would be perfect to match with my amp tone! Would love to find a nice one.

85-Westone-Rail-4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    BassBuzzRS, mindwell, teh-slb and 4 others like this.
  11. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    I used to have every right to talk about a Thunderbird I've played in a shop in threads like this, until about 2 months ago.

BassBuzzRS, erratick and CGramazio like this.
  12. bass.slinger

bass.slinger Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Roland GR-33B (ok, so I am weird...and proud of it).

mikewalker and CGramazio like this.
  13. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    Fretless Steinberger L2 that I bought in a 2nd hand store in the late 80ties and 2 weeks later turned out to be stolen. So i returned it but man was that bass something. Never seen one again and not really prepared to splash on it either, nowadays.
    * a walnut Rick 4003 in a Sam Ash in New Jersey. They also had an American sub stingray for like $450 that was a great bass.

mindwell, son_of_mogh and CGramazio like this.
  14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas

15. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil Inactive

Jul 17, 2020
    I knew I would regret passing them up when I saw one, so I hunted them down and bought three! Two Precisions and a Jazz. Best Fender USA quality I've ever experienced! I wouldn't be surprised if these were actually custom shop basses.

I like to mod my basses, reversibly. I'm having Tony at Pickguardian make me a 1-piece vintage pearl pickguard for my Jazz as I hate the separate chrome control plate (always have). I don't have a pic right now.

But on my Precisions, since I have two I wanted them to look different. I added a rose aluminum pickguard to one, and the other I replaced the factory pearl (with that God-awfully ugly truss rod cutout) with a Warmoth solid pearl semi-transparent pearl pickguard that looks like you could swim in it.

The best made factory Fender basses I've ever played in nearly 50 years! And the coolest cases ever made! And I don't even like Adam Clayton whatsoever!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20200730-203456-jpg.jpg whoremouth-pickguard-jpg.jpg

teh-slb, donahue, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  16. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Andy West, awesome! I played with a drummer in AZ briefly that had jammed with him and raved about him.

17. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    0B32584C-FBF4-4235-9140-060AE3D0B060.jpeg
    I bought the precision special new but in car. It was a lot of money, $1100 in Canada with flight case and tax. Great bass. I am amazed that lesser collector basses go for more money these days. Folks just don’t know how good that series of basses are. Still have mine. The salesman who sold me this bass 40 years ago works at the local music shop.

dalkowski and teh-slb like this.
  18. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

EB2, or the guild equivalent

19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ll get me a jazz some day. Beautiful basses. I like what you did with them.

HearNoStevil likes this.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The integrated ramp/pickup sitch is pretty awesome, and the fretless replacement neck is pretty stunning.

14779483433_0be5b694d9_b.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021