1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

basses you don't need (or even like) but want anyway

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    maybe there's a club for this most common topic (or it's been beat to death and now forbidden) and there should be yet I can't find one, but I'm gonna guess this dagnabit! habit costs nearly all of us. I may be the worst perp since these days I buy purely out of curiosity and looks in hopes of scoring another diamond in the rough, then seeing this Hondo dbl. neck bass from way back definitely increased the delightful affliction. I liked the thot of them when they came out but it was a Hondo and as such had to be immediately dismissed... now of course I dig many of those off brands.
    Hondo Twin Neck Bass | Found Sound

I have the feeling this is no Dano lightweight!
    upload_2018-1-5_9-47-39.

conversely, I've never really liked Moserite guitars but their basses sound good, play nice, look better than the guitars to me, and Lee Dorman played one of them (or a Univox copy) on his final Iron Butterfly gig.
    v Univox v
    upload_2018-1-5_10-10-54.

Mosrite (?)

Attached Files:

2. markbvt

markbvt

Jan 4, 2018
    Oh god, where do I begin?

I'd love to pick up the current Squier incarnation of the Bass VI. I even owned a MIJ Bass VI reissue a while back and sold it because I never used it, but I want another anyway.

I want one of the recent Fender Coronado Bass reissues for no good reason.

I want a Fender AV '57 P-bass (I have an AV '62 already).

I would love to get something custom from Creston Guitars.

I could go on, but I'll stop now before I do something foolish.

--mark

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I feel your GAS pain on that one, toss 2 mudbuckers on a burst body and I'm there!

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Well for me a minimum amount of basses is four. Two 4s and two 5s. Everything else is a definite want. I can't imagine wanting a bass I didn't like, so that one is scratched off my list. I do however have a mental list of basses I'd like to add. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. If they present themselves at the right time it might happen.
    Stingray 4 string. Vintage or modern, not really sure.
    Spector USA or Euro four string.
    Peavey T-40
    Ibanez Talman in Sparkle Green
    Steinburger Spirit
    Vintage P bass. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for one.
    '51 slab body P that I build (probably this summers project)
    American fI've string Fender P

At this point where the American Fenders are going through the roof, I'm more inclined to build my own out of quality parts. Not only will I have exactly what I want right down to the color and every bolt and nut, but I will more then likely have a better quality instrument at a lower price.

The stingray is a bass I've wanted for 20 years, I've just never found the right one at the right time. That will hopefully happen this next year. I play every weekend, and I'll just save up gig money for it.

I'm also planning on getting a Trace Elliot ELF and it's 10" cab. I need an easy carry backup amp, and the cab will be used for practice with the band so I don't have to drag out my GK cabs. It's not an instrument, but it's on the GAS list as well.

Once the weather get nice again in the spring, I'll get the itch to build the '51 slab. I'm starting to gather parts so it will be my summer project.

wmmj and Bass V like this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's a prime example for me, I hate the spud body, the pickguard, the hardware, the weight, yet it's on my list!
    been hurtin' for a '51 something or other too, but those hard edges will hurt more than the GAS...
    good luck with those cabs, sounds like a worthy project.

JGbassman likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    80’s white / gold hardware Yamaha BB3000 passive

1970 Sunburst /rosewood A neck Fender Precision .

Mustang Bass with racing stripes .

Martin B15ce

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hamer12bass.

STROMERO, bobba66, Max Blasto and 2 others like this.
  8. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    For me it’s the Hofner..... I even had one for a while in the 80’s. I felt like I would break the thing and sold it too cheap. But they just look so flipping cool to me.

Old Blastard likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    A bass I don't even like?
    Well, I definitely -- someday -- want an original circa 1970 Ampeg Dan Armstrong lucite bass, even though A) I usually hate 30" scale length instruments, and B) I've heard they are hellaciously heavy.
    I'd love to get one of the original neck-thru 39" scale length Knuckle Quake basses tuned an octave lower than standard, even though A) I'd be a stickler for "proper" amplification, necessitating a crap-ton of infrasonic subwoofers and gazillawatts of power, and I can't afford that nor have a place to store it, and B) I think they were kinda ugly.
    I kinda hate Fender Precision Basses but I still want another one.

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    60’s Gibson EB whatever like Jack Bruce played

Ode1974, waltgdrums, cheechi and 4 others like this.
  11. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    Fodera Monarch 4 Standard. They play beautifully, and the craftsmanship is impeccable, but the price is that of the rest of my bass gear combined, if not more, and they seem to be made for a totally different sound than I usually go for.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  12. I've always wanted an Alembic, even though the look, and the sound really don't match any music I'm likely to play outside my living room.
    Now that I think about it, neither does the NS Design featured in my profile pic.

Korladis, TolerancEJ, seang15 and 2 others like this.
  13. HauntedDave

HauntedDave

Mar 7, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Don't need a Gretsch hollow body electric long scale bass, but damn do I want one.

14. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I always need to talk myself out of buying another Ric. Used to have a CS signature and never adapted to the ergonomics. Sold it. Still, think I should have a Ric 'just because'.

dukeorock, Bob_Ross and Helix like this.
  15. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah, I know, I WANT one. I just don't like how they play.

16. One of EVERY bass will do me. :D

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

IMG_0327.JPG Steinberger XL
    I've owned two in my life. A white one and a black one
    Didn't really even like them that much...
    I still want one!
    A yellow one!

18. Rickenbacker.

david bennett likes this.
  19. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Kramer Aluminum Neck Bass
    Ovation Magnum II
    Warwick Star Bass

TolerancEJ and Bass V like this.