1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses you love that you thought you wouldn't

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 22, 2008.

1. For me it's a P-bass. Good ole P-bass

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My GF bought a Jay Turser Beatle Bass which I thought would be a huge pile of crap (she thought it was "cute") and it turned out to be a really nice bass with a great sound. I've gigged with it before and got nothing but compliments.

3. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Can't say that I LOVE it, but my buddies Schecter Stilletto Custom 4. Very comfortable neck and great tone. Played it through my LMII and it sounded sweet.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Squier VM 70s Jazz.

When I first saw one, I really liked the look but figured it was all style, no substance. I was really shocked when I plugged it in. They hadn't shown up in MF catalog yet, so I had no idea what it was. I kept looking at the headstock and price tag thinking someone made a mistake. I never bought one, but I would gig that bass with pride. It completely changed the way I look at Squiers.

5. Fat K

Fat K

Mar 7, 2008
    Hong Kong
    +1 :hyper:

6. I could never get myself to try a MM Bongo because I think the design is butt-ugly, last month a friend of mine went on a trip and gave me his basses for safe-keeping, including his bongo. I could try it in the privacy of my own home and I'm deeply impressed by the sound(s) and playability of the bass, I even took it to a studio session! Still think it's ugly as hell, especially this one, candy red with white pearl PG. BTW same colour combo as the walking sticks some very dark glassed people use, tells me enough. Couldn't see me playing this bass on stage unless there's a black-out....

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 :)

8. fender, never thought I'd like em that much one day.

9. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Peavey Cirrus. sweet.

10. Surprisingly enough, it's my '08' MIA Fender Jazz V. For years, I stayed away on purpose from Fenders. I don't know, it was something about . . . well everybody's got one, kinda thing. This year I bought a Carvin LB75AP Anniversary from one of the Carvin stores, I struggled to get that bass to sound good live for 4 months. Finally I decided, after hearing so much hype on TB about the new Fenders, that I went out and bought a new Jazz V. OMG, the sound is killer right out of the box, no struggles trying to get a good sound, thing sounds great.

So I'm back to passive for the first time since '79' when I was playing a Ric 4001, and I'm loving it.:smug:

11. I didn't like spector because they looked so weird and as of now my only two not-in-pieces-basses are spectors. They just sound good and are a lot more versatile than their look and pickups may suggest.

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I also have to say P-bass.

Since I like metal, and I found that this is THE bass for metal.

In my local music store, when testing out effects or amps, I always take the MIM Precision (the only P-bass on display).

I got to buy that bass someday, I played it so many times.

13. OLP 5. I'd heard about 'em and never played one, then one day I was in a store a buddy worked in and I picked it up for no particular reason and was gob-smacked. Bought it on the spot and played it at a gig that night.

14. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    the first time i saw a thunderbird i thought ughh.
    then after like a few months of not thinking of it at all. i looked at it and had an epiphany right that second. then i thought i was beautiful.then i tried it and and loved it even more. now i own one!!!

sounds strange enough right? i know.

15. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    The Squier VM Fretless surpraise me when i play it.

Sound much better than i think it was.

16. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Danelectro Longhorn RI-a little setup, half round strings, and voila! A great little lightweight bass with three great tones.

17. gotta say fenders, still not a massive fan but im getting a bit of GAS for a 24 Fret Jazz V

18. SX P-bass!!

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    EBMM Stingray 4. Thought they were the ugliest looking basses on the face of the planet until I played one.
    It was love at first... touch? Now I own one! And the tone is to die for. :) And I love showing her off. ;)

DSCF0140.

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    MIM Jazz bass. I picked it up, played it for an hour and walked out with it. It's an incredible jazz bass and I honestly didn't think it would be anything special.

Proof that good basses come in all sizes, shapes, and brand names:D