Basses you regret getting rid of

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, May 28, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    1:So what bass did you get rid of?
    2:why did you get rid of it
    3:why do you regret it?

For me it was the Ken Smith Burner/Ken Smith BSR6MW.
    Why, String spacing on the burner was tight, but I could have adapted, and the BSR6MW, the tax man had to be paid,
    regrets, I miss the SMOOTH sound I got from both of those basses

Time to SAVE and get another KEN SMITH :hyper:
  2. 1:So what bass did you get rid of?
    The one in my profile pic (Godin A4 fretless)

I had no money to purchase it back then (it was borrowed)

Because it had a sweet tone with lots of mwah.

3. I had a Gibson EB2-C bass in the early 80's that I purchased for $180. But I was a drummer then and traded it for a 9-piece set of roto-toms. Yes, an entire drum set consisting of roto-toms. :oops:

The EB2C was similar to this EB-2D :( :
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Many many years back.
    Not a bass, but I had a Hofner Club guitar in factory dark cherry red sunburst.
    I have never to this day seen another one in that finish.
    Stupidly sold it for very little money. :(
  5. A sunburst '68 Precision, and a green Reverend 5-string. :(
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I really regret having sold my first bass, a Billy Sheehan red Yamaha Attitude four-string that was a duplicate of the one he played at the time it was released. It can be seen in his video. It has the grooves in the fretboard he puts in his basses for tapping and string bending. It had a HipShot D-tuner to drop the E-string to D. The fretboard had a beautiful pearlized finished that changed colors in different lights. It had dual input jacks, a feature I never took adavantage of.

I loved that bass, even though the fretboard was quite wide for my hands. The fretboard was a smooth as silk. I had six basses at that time, but we were moving to a much smaller retirement condo and I just didn't have room for all those basses. I HATED selling any of my basses, but had to make difficult choices. So I kept my Tobias five-string and Hamer four-string and let the others go.

To this day I miss that Yamaha. I really didn't realize the emotional attachment I had to that bass. Some lucky soul has that bass somewhere and I pray they are taking good care of it and that they are getting lots of happy hours of music from it just as I did.
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya

Steinberger XL

I contracted a dose of acute poverty

Because I loved it. I bought it new, it was in perfect condition and I sold it cheap-ish due to dire neccessity.
  8. 1. Yamaha BB1600
    2. Traded it for the Warwick Streamer I still own.
    3. It was the first good bass I had, and as I recall I loved the playability of it.
  9. my 1964 Kay upright. i was poor. but, it's gonna be a bear to replace.
    also, i had a funky old silvertone guitar with sparkly paint and a lipstick tube pickup. i sold it for gas money. i don't know if i can ever find a guitar that ugly again.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I regret nothing. Nostalgia is for ninnies.
  11. 1:So what bass did you get rid of?
    A Rickenbacker 4001, excellent shape, blue with white binding.

Thought I wanted a bass with a more 'modern' sound.

I would appreciate it more now that I'm older, plus it is now worth about 3x what I paid for it.
  12. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hiya Paul,
    OT:I lived in Ware for a summer-- absolutely lovely. I was a regular at The Old Bull's Head and Saracen's Head. Wouldn;t mind a pint of Old AK right now. *end OT:

I traded an Ibanez SR400 fretless for a Dean Q6 fretless. I've regretted it ever since.
  13. I regret selling:

My Gibson G-3
    My Ovation Magnum (one of the first 500 made: serial# 00488)
    My B.C. Rich Eagle - Twin P pups, 3 way selector switch, 6 way varitone switch, phase switch, hi-lo pickup output switch, jazz-type neck. I really should have my head examined for selling this one! :bawl:

I sold them all to trade up to "something better."

Live & learn.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    1980's BC RICH US Mockingbird and US STIII Bass

2:why did you get rid of it?
    Needed the cash, BADLY.

Some of the best playing basses I have ever owned. The Mockingbird especially. Had Dual EMG P setups and oh man.
  15. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    sold my yamaha bb3000af fretless neck-thru when i needed rent money in college. miss it terribly.

saw it on ebay about 6 months ago or so, same chipped paint and all, and was broke again at the time. maybe it'll pop up again someday.
  16. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I regret selling my MM Stingray. It was this cool purple metallic color that was discontinued a few years ago. I needed the money to pay for an insanely cheap ($950) new 4 string Elrick I scored on ebay. I plan to get another ray when the time is right.
  17. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    I regret getting rid of my Westone Rail, just kidding!!!!!! but I do regret getting rid of my 1961 Fender Precission but I replaced it with my Alembic Series 1 which I will not get rid of, I've had it for 28 years

18. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    of all the basses i got rid of i'm glad that i did. they were all *&%&^$
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  20. thescottduncan

Apr 13, 2004
    '91 Sting Ray 4 string

Didn't feel like paying for neck repairs (trussrod broken)

Because it was a beautiful instrument, and also because I realize that it's worth more than I sold it for, despite the neck.