Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by witness, Sep 19, 2002.

1. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    Is there an advantage or disadvantage having 2 volume pots (1 per p/u) vice a blend pot on your bass & why?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    this is a great question!! ive have pondered this much lately- i recently acquired an F bass and it has the 2 volumes-- there are pros and cons here-- first- it allows you more flexibily on blending- you can have ratios like 80% neck pup and 100 % bridge pup or any combination you like- with a blend pot- you have either 505-50 or 60-40 or 70-30 - you see what im saying? two volumes allow you to find more variations-- however...
    i find myself having to use a volume pedal so i can bring my pickup mix up or down in over all vol without disturbing the blend-
    in my case- since i like to change my overall volume and i have acquired a habit of turning my vol off between tunes- i think ill opt for the master vol/ master blend option that the F basses offer since i am waiting on a special order F- it depends on how important it is for you to be able to move your mix around with a master vol - to me , it is. Great question, though!!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great answer, A.

I have both. I usually keep my volume(s) wide open and my pickups full on or off so it's usually not an issue for me. I think, as Adrian said, that you'll have more control with two volumes. I have two F basses, one with Volume Volume and one with Volume Pan... they both work. The VP is easier to turn down fast:)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    so, Brad- you have both- do you hear a reason NOT to go with master vol/ blend? like i said, i have a black and white ceruse coming- i will probably sell my ash one then- do you hear any tonal difference between your F basses?

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So far, no. The master volume works out fine for me.

I have Lakland strings on the Studio 5 and the BN5 came with a new set of Dean Markley SR2000 strings... so far I'm impressed. I want to get the same strings on both to a/b them.

6. I have vol/vol on my Modulus Hollowbody and honestly would prefer it was vol/blend. Although I find I get more precise with the vol/vol, I can get to a good blend more quickly with a blend control.

Is there a sonic reason to go vol/vol? Some isolation that improves sound?

Bottom line, I think vol/vol is a pain!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like volume/blend. There's really no advantage to vol/vol. In Adrian's scenario, 100% bridge and 80% neck translates to 55.4% bridge and 44.6% neck at the jack. There's really no difference. The analogy is Einstein's discovery that acceleration due to increasing velocity is exactly the same as acceleration due to gravity. You can't discern between the two.

8. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    Thanks alot fellas, I got exactly what I wanted to hear from everyone's input, I think I will be going vol/blend, because I too like to fiddle with the volume on certain songs

9. acceleration due to velocity is equal to the acceleration due to gravity? Huh?

Anyway, most of my basses are vol/pan/tone.

I run the vol at full max and adjust my volume with my hands on the strings and never touch the vol pot.
    I sometimes nudge the pan and tone pots a little, but can do significant tone changes with my hands as well. (by attack etc).

So, basically it does not matter too much to me, as long as I can twist the knobs to get a tone that I like.

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    How about stacked vol/vol; you can mix plus alter the master vol by grabbing them together. I put this on my P with J pu - works fine

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Not accurate- with a blend pot, center position is neck 100%, bridge 100%. Moving it away from center decreases one while holding the other at 100%. So, you do for example get 100%/80% if you nudge it a little off center, not 60/40.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Good question, but worst title for a thread!! ;)

I think I remember reading in interviews with Roscoe Beck how he and many other people liked the sound on a Jazz bass where you have the bridge pickup full on and back off the neck one a little - so it's maybe 100% 95%. So when he went for the pickup switch on his signature bass, he inlcuded a "workaround" which meant that if you pulled up one of the pots it allowed you to get this.

I have two volumes on my Tobias and I find a lot of little subtelties in this area - that is, where you have bridge full on and then turn down the neck pickup very slightly - it's something that doesn't seem to happen with a blend.

But I must say that I do often miss an overall volume. I can remember being on crowded stages where I couldn't get back to my amp and suddenly discovering I am way too loud for onstage volume compared with the rest of the band and having to play incredibly softly and feeling really restricted!

People mouthing "turn down" and not being able to explain that I don't have an overall volume!! :mad:

13. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    On a normal fender jazz, the knobs are vol/vol/ tone. Is tone the same as blend, or are they two different animals?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - they are cats and dogs!! ;)

A tone control controls the tone - eq, while blend is just controlling the relative volume between pickups!

I was in the Bass Cellar in Demark St London on Weds and was amazed that both the person trying a bass and the shop assistant were confused by this fact!! So - customer says : what does this knob do - errr, it's the treble, that must be what "blend" means !! :rolleyes:

I walked out quickly before I said something I would have regretted! ;)

15. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks Bruce. The reason I asked is that I'm putting together a warmoth jazz and it's my first experience with jazz electronics (all my others have been active MM systems). I got a set of emgs to put in it, and they are vol/vol/ tone. I guess I will just have to fiddle with the two volumes settings to see what combo I like. Just out of curiosity, should I leave the volumes at 100% and tweak the tone, or find what I like with vols, then play with the tone?

16. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Something that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is that in order to get a proper blend control, you need an active circuit (I think...correct me if I'm wrong).

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I look at stack pots as a necessary evil... I just don't like them. It's never kept me from buying a bass but if I had a choice I'd take two knobs over a stack every time.

It's a personal problem;)

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know panpots can work in passive mode on an active bass so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on a straight passive bass. It's just taking the output from each pickup and decreasing one while increasing the other. The initial output sent to the panpot for both pickups can be varied with the volume control.

Can't recall if I've ever seen one.

19. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    With my Carvin LB75 the blend works in Passive mode, but I miss not having any tone control. Of course plucking hand placement will change the tone. I find that I like the tone of my passive basses more if I just back the volume off from max a tiny bit. I believe phase cancelation enters in to this equation also. YMMV JMHO

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, I may stand corrected - i will ask Mike Tobias and George Furlanetto about this- its an interesting concept- sonmething in me still belives that vol-vol offers more mixing variations-