Bassestkkm’s first gig report

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Dec 16, 2017.

1. 12/16/2017 at California Citrus State Historic Park

This ones a bit long because it’s got a back story.

About 3 weeks ago I got a phone call from two great friends who I’ve been playing music on and off with for the last 10-12 years.

They had a gig just a few days after I came home from school for winter break. They’ve been playing covers of hip hop, r&b, Motown, Jazz, and rock as part of a long standing gig they have but have never had a bassist with them and asked me if I wanted the gig. Of course, I took it. These guys are phenomenal musicians so there’s no way I’d let this pass up.

My adventure started in Seattle on December 12th at about 5 am when I found out my flight home was cancelled. I was trying to make it home because I wanted to surprise my dad for his birthday. So I went to the airport to try to get on another flight. Long story short it was 730 pm by the time I reached California.

Happily, nobody had ruined my Dad’s surprise and it was awesome to see him in shock to see him just in time for dinner.

The following evening we had rehearsal. HOLY COW!!! These people can play!!! The highlight of our set list and most challenging to learn was This Christmas by Donny Hathaway. I couldn’t find notation really anywhere and I really had to use my ears to learn it. But it came off and we all had a blast playing it. A stellar pianist, saxophonist, drummer, and guitar rounded out the group.

Now come pictures, we had people dancing, free bar access, dinner, and a nice corner haha

Attached Files:

2. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove... Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice gig - always good to play with great musicians! Will you get to play with them again during your break?

bassestkkm, dbase and McG like this.
  3. I have my doubts about getting to play again during the break. I think this was the only gig they had planned for the holiday season.
    They’re also musicians at their respective churches so they have other commitments.

Bassed in NZ, dbase and McG like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    So cool! A fun gig with good musicians AND surprising your dad on his birthday. A most excellent trip home. :thumbsup:

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Very nice report, sir! (Man, you guys in California have got it knocked. Beautiful, warm,... nice folks everywhere you look..., and you sounded as good as you looked, I'm sure!)

dbase, bassestkkm and McG like this.
  6. It was a welcome treat after a pretty terrible few months of a bad living situation at school in Seattle. And the warm weather down here is good too

Sore Thumb, McG and dbase like this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    me thinks we should move to California where the gigs are ; )

8. Its tempting...

McG and bassestkkm like this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Nooooooooooooo! I want the gigs for my band!!

Great story.

McG and bassestkkm like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. bassestkkm,

Traveling while gigging can be a very inconvenient combination. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

I'm glad everything worked for you. Spending time with family, playing with old friends who are great players, food and drink, what's not to love? Ok, maybe you don't have to love canceled flights. (BTDTGTTS)

Did you have a rig at home? Do you play while you're away at school? Are you a music major?

Enjoy your holidays. Safe travels to you. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

bassestkkm likes this.
  11. Hey Basscliff,
    When I left for school in the summer I left my rig and all of my instruments but for a couple at home. So, luckily it makes traveling easy.

I am lucky enough to have saved up and bought (and been gifted one) a few basses over my nearly 15 years of playing. I took my road worn Jazz, hand made guitar, and violin up to Seattle with me and play though my computer and Logic X/ Main Stage when I'm at school. I actually did a gig in Florida in September where I flew out with a guitar and the computer fairly successfully.

And for you last question, no, I'm not a music major, though I had been torn between choosing one or the other when I was beginning my undergrad. I did my undergrad in Biology, but studied music history and theory, am doing my masters in Comparative Medicine, and hope to begin medical school after I finish this program in 2 years time.

Music is something I have been doing for most of my life, so I continue to do it for fun when friends ask me to join them and when I have time. I know the music scene is huge in Seattle, but with school and research commitments I only have the occasional opportunity to go listen or play on my own.

Thanks,
    Kish

I'm a huge fan of your gigs and reports by the way! They are always a familiar sight as I'm born and raised in Southern California

Sore Thumb and BassCliff like this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Cool, keep it up...:thumbsup:

bassestkkm likes this.