Bassetto: great instrument, great recording!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by student, May 15, 2005.

1. student

May 15, 2005
    There is a great new CD of a double bass tuned in fifths by the german double bassist and "bassettist" Silvio Dalla Torre. He recorded "Songs, Chansons, Elegies". Highly recommendable!
  2. DonQuartz

Dec 18, 2004
    This player, Silvio Dalla Torre, has a really excellent website. I ordered one of his cds and got it last week and it is quite enjoyable! It is really worth hearing and I notice that non-bassists like it too. The mix of repertoire is terrific.
    You can't really tell what sort of tuning he uses, except when he goes very high and you know he has to have a high string of some sort; it always sounds very musical. From the picture inside it looks like it is a regular size bass, just with a high fifths tuning. (high"E").
    I think this is a pretty rare cd so heres the address if you're interested.
  3. student

May 15, 2005
  4. John Lehmann

John Lehmann

May 16, 2005
    In my opinion this recording is a milestone in double bass playing. Never before I heard the instrument played in such a musical way. Perfect intonation, full and resonating bass sound, wonderful phrasing - everything is on the level of top cello recordings, but this is a real double bass! Should we all change to fifths now?
  5. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Wow, really interesting guy. A lot of thought and research went into his work there. I'm looking forward to hearing his recordings!